Potatoes with Cream and Mushrooms are the definition of decadent. Packed with richness and full of flavor, these are effortless to prepare and they reheat amazingly.
Potatoes with Cream and Mushrooms are very popular at Slavic weddings or large parties. Since all the ingredients can be prepared well in advance, it’s no surprise this dish is the perfect candidate for large gatherings.
Whether you are looking for a spin on mashed potatoes or you just want some good, old-fashioned comfort food, these spuds are sure to win your heart over. Just ask my husband, he is absolutely addicted!
What Mushroom Gravy is Made Of
The mushroom for this recipe only requires mushrooms, carrots, onions, heavy whipping cream, salt and pepper. Typically, mushroom gravy requires flour and some heavy whisking action. But, since you are going to pour this gravy right over your potatoes before you bake them, you can skip the flour step all together! The natural starches from the potatoes will thicken the gravy naturally as the dish cooks in the oven.
How to Make Mushroom Gravy From Scratch
Making your own mushroom gravy for this dish is super simple. Follow these simple steps to get the creamiest gravy to smother your boiled potatoes in:
- In a frying pan set to medium-high heat, sautee your onions, carrots and mushrooms in olive oil or butter until golden brown. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the whipping cream directly to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Pour directly over your boiled potatoes in an oven safe baking dish.
Make Mushroom Gravy Ahead of Time
Make your mushroom gravy a day in advance if you like. Letting the gravy marinate in the fridge overnight will make the flavors even more pronounced! When your potatoes are boiled and ready to be smothered, simply bring a saucepan to medium heat and reheat your gravy, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan. Place your boiled potatoes into an oven safe baking dish and smother with your gravy while it’s piping hot.
Hot tip: Roast your potatoes immediately after you pour your gravy on top. This will yield the best texture and will help the top crisp up nicely.
Best Way To Reheat Potatoes with Cream and Mushrooms
Reheat your Potatoes with Cream and Mushrooms in either the microwave or the oven:
- Microwave: Warm up your potatoes in the microwave for one minutes and give them a stir. Repeat in one minute increments until heated through.
- Oven: Place in the oven at 200℉ for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
Note: This dish will stay fresh to up to 5 days and should be refrigerated in an airtight container.
Other Potato Recipes
- Mashed Potatoes – a must classic!
- Air Fryer Baked Potato – Quick and EASY!
- Oven Roasted Potatoes – Only 3 ingredients!
- Smashed Potatoes – So much flavor and so good!
- 12 medium Potatoes
- 1/2 qt Heavy Whipping Cream
- 10 oz Mushrooms
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 medium Carrots
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut them into 6 pieces. Boil potatoes in salty water. Once the potatoes are cooked, place them into an oven safe dish.
- In a frying pan, saute mushrooms until golden, add onions, carrots and season. Cook until they soften.
- Add whipping cream to the ingredients, and bring it to a boil.
- Cover cooked potatoes with a creamy mixture. Place it in the oven at 200°F for 15 minutes.
I threw some roux in to thicken it up; it was good.
Hi There, That sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing your process with me, enjoy!
Have you ever added chicken to the recipe? I’ve tasted this dish before but never made it! Thinking to add chicken thighs or breast to it. Let me know what you think!
Hey Julie- I haven't but personally I think adding chicken would be delicious! I would recommend cooking the cut up chicken thigh or breast in a separate skillet, and then adding it to the the veggies & heavy cream mixture in step 4. Enjoy!
This recipe looks really good and I will make it one day, but, today I can't stop laughing at the heaving whipping cream ingredient! LOL If ever there was a funny miss key in typing a recipe...this would be the best in my opinion!! Love it...Merry Christmas!
Hi Candis - LOL! I'm going to fix that right now. Definitely don't want the whipping cream to be "heaving". Appreciate you flagging this typo and hope you enjoy these decadent potatoes. 🙂
This is so amazing! Really comforting and easy to make! It was a huge hit for dinner.
I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for the feedback.
I love potatoes practically every which way and THIS sounds SO good, yummy!
Kimberly, this is so good to hear. Thank you for sharing!
Delicious - so yummy. I will be making this again soon!
Thank you, I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe!
This is just amazing ! So easy and tasting!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
What can I replace the mushrooms with? Anything else?
Hey Alina, in this recipe mushroom is the star so its hard to replace it. But you can just do creamy potatoes too.
This looks so good! We featured it on our blog - check it out! And thanks so much!
Thanks dear! I appreciate you linking to this recipe.
do you think these can be made a day ahead and would reheat well?
They would reheat well, just add more whipping cream because it way dry out a bit.
Thank you, with in years of marriage, I also started liking them.
These potatoes sound delicious! My husband would love them as well ... especially with the mushrooms!