Instant Pot chicken with mushrooms is going to be your next favorite hearty, weeknight dinner. In under 30 minutes, you will have creamy mushroom sauce smothered all over tender, juicy chicken. Oh, yeah!
Instant Pot chicken with mushroom sauce really makes for a luxurious dish. I’m not gonna lie, I had last-minute dinner guests come through not too long ago and I whipped this dish up in a panic. Everyone thought I spent all day making it!
We love chicken, yes we do! We love chicken, how ‘bout you?! Okay, I’ll calm down. But, seriously, chicken never goes out of style. It’s my personal protein go-to. I love preparing it in my Instant Pot during the week to cut down cooking times and get dinner on the table faster. Try my Instant Pot Chicken Thighs if you’re into quick and delicious bird!
Ways to Serve Chicken With Mushroom
This dish is super versatile. Here are a couple of my favorite side dishes to round it out:
- Veggies: I love serving this dish with a side of veggies for an awesomely satisfying low-carb meal. Try my Parmesan Panko Roasted Veggies or my Roasted Veggies Salad. In a hurry? Whip up my Five-Minute Asparagus.
- Mashed Potatoes: I mean, why not smother the gravy on some mashed potatoes too? This is one of my favorite wintertime comfort meals!
- Pasta Noodles: Craving a little pasta? Cook some fettuccine or egg noodles and toss them with the mushroom gravy. Just like that, you’ll have a restaurant-quality pasta dish.
Tips and Tricks for Making Instant Pot Chicken with Mushrooms
- If you are going to use bone-in chicken, make sure to add at least 5 extra minutes of cooking time.
- If you are going to cube up your chicken prior to cooking it, make sure you cut the pieces into similar sizes. This will encourage even cooking!
- Same goes for your mushrooms — cut them into even pieces for even cooking.
- Use skinless chicken to avoid getting fatty chunks of skin (unless that’s your thing, which is perfectly fine!).
- Like it a little spicy? Add some red pepper flakes alongside your heavy cream for a bit of a kick to your gravy.
How Long Does It Take to Cook Chicken Breast in an Instant Pot?
Chicken is one of the best things to cook in an Instant Pot. You can use my Instant Pot Chicken Guide to make fresh or frozen chicken. Make a large batch of it and either refrigerate or freeze if for meals to come. I love using it my garden salad, chicken gnocchi soup or a quick Philly cheesesteak but with chicken.
Always check the temperature to make that cooked chicken is at 165 °F.
Storing Instant Pot Chicken with Mushrooms
See below for all your storing, freezing and refrigerating needs! I doubt you will have any leftovers, but you know, just in case!
Freeze your chicken and mushroom sauce in an airtight container for up to 2-3 months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat it in a saucepan or skillet over medium heat or in the microwave.
Refrigerate your chicken and mushroom sauce in an airtight container for up to a week. Reheat it in a saucepan, skillet or microwave.
Share Some Love ❤️
- In a medium-size bowl combine flour together with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Dredge chicken breast into the seasoning.
- Preheat Instant Pot on sauté mode with oil.
- Brown chicken on all sides until it turns golden brown. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to the Instant Pot and sauté until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add chicken back to the instant pot. Season with salt and pepper. Add water and close the lid. Set the instant pot to Manual Pressure Hight for 12 minutes.
- Vent to release pressure. Remove chicken from the Instant Pot and set aside. Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode, and add heavy cream to the pot. Let the sauceé simmer for 5 minutes. Pour sauce over the chicken and serve it over your favorite side dish.
NOTE: Recipe developed by Momsdish and first published on The Salty Marshmallow.