Raisins are small and spread out nicely inside for a perfect flavor balance; it makes the whole cake very flavorful. This recipe is definitely a keeper.
The idea for drunken raisins came to me, while on Alaska Cruise, last summer. I’ve ordered ice-cream and it came with raisins on top that were drunken. I was telling my husband, why don’t we ever make drunken raisins cake? They taste so good. My mission was to test it out when we get home.
For this recipe, you’ll need to prepare two nine (9) inch sponge cakes, which can be prepared a day in advance.
Other Similar Cakes to Try:
Share Some Love ❤️
- 2 Sponge Cakes
- 2 cup Rum
- 3 cup Dry Raisins
- 1/2 qt Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Confectioners Sugar
- Place raisins in container and cover with rum, let them soak for at least 8 hours.
- Prepare 2 sponge cakes the day before you plan to put cake together. Cut a thin layer off the top of one sponge cake and set it aside; we will use this to cap the cake at the end.
- In both sponge cakes, cut a line close to the edges on the inside. Rip out the inside of the cake, forming a bowl. Rip cake insides into small pieces. Set aside.
- Whip together 1 cup sugar and heavy whip cream. Make sure that the whip cream is very cold, so it outputs the cream firm.
- Drain all liquid from raisins. Mix together pieces of sponge cake, raisins and about 70% of the cream (keep the rest for outside of the cake).
- Fill in bowls of sponge cake with mixture. Place them on top of each other, in between, you can fill it with a bit of cream.
- Cover the top with the cake lid. Using the remaining cream, cover the cake. Decorate as you wish.