Some time ago, my sister told me that she tried a cake and it was by far her favorite. I asked her for all the details and later showed up with it at her doorstep. We shared a few slices together and she said that indeed that cake is just as great.
The textures from nuts and poppy seeds add so much flavor to this cake. The dough itself has an amazing honey aroma. Very simple, but at the same time such an impressive cake.
The cake process may seem long, but it’s just the amount of photos I’ve added for you. If you happen to be baking a cake for the first time, it may take a bit longer for you, but if you’ve done it before, this recipe will trully be a “piece of cake”.
Other Russian Cakes
Share Some Love ❤️
- 6 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Honey
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Poppy Seeds
- 1 cup Whipping Cream for soaking
- 3 tbsp Liquid Sauce for soaking
- 16 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 cn Dulce De Leche
- 2 cup Whipping Cream
- Beat eggs with sugar, until it’s three times in volume. Add honey into the mixture and beat again to combine well together.
- Into a small dish, combine lemon juice together with baking soda. Add Baking soda mixture into the egg mixture, fold in to combine.
- Using a spatula, fold in flour by thirds; be very gentle with the dough, so you don't over-mix it and lose the fluffiness.
- Chop walnuts into tiny pieces. I used a ziplock bag and a meat tenderizer.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. Stir poppy seeds into one of them and walnuts into the other.
- Place batter in a 9 inch cake pan. Bake each cake at 350F for 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Slice each cake into two equal parts. Soak all sides with sweetened whipping cream.
- Prepare ingredients for the cream. Let the cream cheese soften to a room temperature and keep whipping cream extra cold. Beat cream cheese together with dulce de leche.
- Into the cream, add whipping cream and continue beating until stiff peaks. Be sure not to over-beat because the cream may come apart. Keep an eye on the cream while it's beating.
- Place cream in between each layer of the cake. I used the sides of the cake pan to hold the shape of the cake. I think I need to invest into a cake setting ring.
- Remove the ring from the cake. Decorate the cake with remaining cream.
- Cake is best when refrigerated overnight or at least for several hours.