This is a perfect cake to satisfy your cravings and still keep that perfect shape for the summer. This cake recipe comes form a restaurant in San Francisco, it was listed on “The Big Eat 2011: 100 Things to Try Before You Die.” With a few test runs and changes I came up with a similar, yet, healthier version of the cake.
The cake gets enough sweetness from prunes and apples, but a little kick of honey ties the flavor perfectly. It is moist on the inside, with a perfect crunch. In a way, it reminds me of a Russian Sharlotka Cake.
Share Some Love ❤️
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Next, cut the prunes into small pieces and place them in a small bowl. Pour hot, boiling water on top of the prunes, add in the baking soda, and allow them to soak for at least 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the honey, egg, vanilla extract, and coconut oil together.
- Slowly, beat the prune mixture into the egg mixture.
- Working in small portions and using a spatula, add the flour mixture into the wet mixture until well-combined.
- Fold the peeled and chopped apples into the mixture.
- Grease a 7-inch round baking dish and pour the batter into it. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Allow the cake to cool at room temperature. Slice and enjoy!