This is a perfect cake to satisfy your cravings and still keep that perfect shape for the summer. This cake recipe comes form a restaurant in San Francisco, it was listed on “The Big Eat 2011: 100 Things to Try Before You Die.” With a few test runs and changes I came up with a similar, yet, healthier version of the cake.
The cake gets enough sweetness from prunes and apples, but a little kick of honey ties the flavor perfectly. It is moist on the inside, with a perfect crunch. In a way, it reminds me of a Russian Sharlotka Cake.
Share Some Love ❤️
- Preheat oven to 350F. Cut prunes into smaller pieces and pour hot, boiling water over them. Also, add baking soda to the prunes. Let the indigence soak for at least 10 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine coarse whole wheat flour and baking powder; and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat honey, egg, vanilla and coconut oil, until combined.
- Slowly beat in prune mixture to the eggs. Add flour mixture gradually, folding with a spatula, until combined.
- Fold in apples into the mixture.
- Grease a 9 inch baking dish, spread mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes. Let the cake cool to a room temperature.