These air fryer donuts are covered in your choice of cinnamon and sugar or a velvety glaze. Whip them up in under 15 minutes!
Mornings are for donuts, am I right? If you’re looking for a healthier way to get your weekly donut fix, it’s time to tap into the almighty powers of the air fryer. This wonder appliance not only makes perfectly crispy donuts in under 15 minutes, but it also does so with a fraction of the fat of deep-fried varieties. The best part? There’s no need to fuss with splattering hot oil.
This recipe takes the ease of making homemade donuts one step further by tapping into a tried and true shortcut: store-bought biscuit dough. Instead of making the dough from scratch, you’ll save your forearms from kneading while still getting melt in your mouth, buttery donuts. Who doesn’t like a win-win situation?
Additionally, you’ll find instructions on how to coat your donuts in a classic glaze or a crunchy cinnamon and sugar topping. Your donuts, your choice!
How to Make Air Fryer Donuts
Making donuts with store-bought biscuit dough couldn’t get any easier. Below, find a quick hitter overview of the recipe before you dive in.
- Shape the Donuts: Take the biscuit dough out of the can and slice it into 8 pieces. With a rolling pin, smooth out each dough piece into a flat circle. Next, cut a hole in the center of each.
- Air Fry the Donuts: Coat the tray in coconut cooking spray. Cook the donuts at 350°F for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown.
- Coat or Glaze the Donuts: Brush warm donuts in melted butter and coat with cinnamon sugar topping. Alternately, dunk them in a creamy glaze. Enjoy!
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Donuts
Below, find some pro tips to help you make the best donuts.
- Don’t overcrowd the donuts. To allow the donuts to get 360 degrees crispy, avoid overcrowding them in the tray.
- Use coconut spray to coat the tray. Avoid using more savory cooking sprays like avocado or olive oil and opt for coconut instead for its sweeter flavor.
- Dunk the donuts immediately. Whether you’re using the cinnamon-sugar coating or the glaze, dunk the donuts immediately after you take them out of the tray (you can use tongs to protect your hands) to help the coating stick better.
Bottle Cap Hack: Use the serrated cap from a glass soda bottle to cut out the donut holes versus a knife. Easy peasy!
- Room Temperature: Store leftover donuts in an airtight container on the counter. They will keep fresh for 1-2 days.
- Refrigerating: Store leftover donuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Freezing: To freeze leftover donuts, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pop the baking sheet into the freezer for 2 hours or until the donuts are completely frozen. Transfer the donuts to a freezer-safe bag and store them for up to 3 months.
Reheating Tip: The best way to reheat donuts is back in the air fryer. Turn the temperature to 350°F and cook them for 1-2 minutes per side or until they’re crispy again.
Why did my air fryer donuts turn out so chewy?
Your air fryer donuts likely turned out too chewy if you didn’t roll the dough out or cook them long enough. Remedy chewy donuts by cooking them for a couple more minutes.
Can I reheat my donuts in the air fryer?
Yes, you can reheat your donuts in the air fryer. Simply cook them for 1-2 minutes per side at 350°F.
How long do air fryer donuts stay fresh?
Air fryer donuts will stay fresh for 1-2 days. Just like traditional, deep-fried varieties, air fryer donuts are best eaten immediately.
What’s the best store-bought biscuit dough to use for air fryer donuts?
The best store-bought biscuit dough to use is the kind that comes in a cylindrical pop can. Since the dough is already in a circular shape, you won’t need to shape the donuts by hand much. Instead, all you need to do is slice the dough, flatten it out, and cut a hole in the center.
How long does it take to make air fryer donuts?
It takes just under 15 minutes from prep to finish to make air fryer donuts if you’re using a premade biscuit dough.
More Simple Breakfast Sweets
- Streusel Blueberry Coffee Cake – Classic blueberry coffee cake
- Easiest French Toast (The BEST) – No-frills french toast
- No-Knead Cinnamon Rolls (So Easy) – The easiest cinnamon rolls
- Cottage Cheese Pancakes (Quick & Easy) – Salty and sweet pancakes
Air Fryer Donuts
- 1 can store-bought flaky biscuit dough refrigerated
- 1 tbsp coconut oil spray
Air Fryer Donuts
- Remove the biscuit dough from the can and place it on a cutting board. Slice the dough into eight equal pieces. Using a rolling pin, flatten each piece of dough.
- Cut a hole in a center of each dough circle.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil. Air fry donuts at 350°F for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Stir and set aside.
- Brush each donut with melted butter. Dip each donut into the cinnamon-sugar mixture until coated. Enjoy!