I know that not everyone is a fan of shuba. I used to not like it either! Then I tried this type of shuba at my friend’s house.
I was sitting at a dinner table and she kept on asking for me to try it. I was thinking – here you go, now how do I get out of this. Well, I decided to give it a try and here I went for more and more refills. The difference with this shuba, is the way you layer it. Let potatoes soak in flavor from herring, and it will make all the difference.
When I am able, I like to make it in small portion sizes. It’s a bit more time consuming.
Other Beet Salads to Try
Share Some Love ❤️
- 3 small Potatoes
- 1 lb Herring
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- 3 medium Beets
- 3 medium Carrots
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- Boil beets for 45 minutes in a small pot. In a separate pot, boil potatoes, carrots for 25 minutes. Remove all ingredients from boiling water, let them cool off. Another way to cook ingredients is by baking them in the oven. Wrap beets, carrots and potatoes in foil and bake them at 400F for 30- 45 minutes. Carrots and potatoes will cook sooner, check with fork to see when they are cooked thoroughly.
- Clean beets, potatoes, and carrots. Grate separately on a cheese grater. Slice herring and onion into small pieces.
- Using small cup or a bowl, layer it in this order. Beets, mayo, carrots, onions, herring, potatoes. With a knife, separate salad from he sides of the dish.
- Flip dish over carefully removing the salad, spread some mayo on top in thin layer. Keep refrigerated until you serve.
- An easier way to layer salad, when you are in a hurry, is by using deep ceramic dish. Placing potatoes, onions, herring, carrots, mayo, beets and top with mayo. Before you serve, cut it into small pieces.