If you have never tried Zefir, I would say the closest thing to it are marshmallows. This makes an amazing addition to any party. I love this recipe, using simple ingredients that I always have on hand.
Homemade Zefir may taste different than a store bough, much softer, just because they are fresh.
Tip: I would suggest making them late in evening; they take 8 hours to dry so it will be perfect to finish them up in the morning.
Other Russian Dessert to Try:
Share Some Love ❤️
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the egg whites with 1 cup of sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix ½ cup water with the gelatin powder and let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes.
- Mix the other ½ cup of water with 2 cups of sugar in a saucepan over low heat. Add in the gelatin mixture and stir until completely dissolved. Next, add in the food coloring and lemon juice. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the gelatin mixture to a measuring cup for easy pouring. Place the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer and gradually increase the beating speed to high. Slowly, pour the gelatin mixture into the eggs as you beat until you get stiff peaks.
- Stuff the zefir batter into a plastic piping bag. Using the frosting tip, pipe small flower shapes onto a piece of wax paper laid flat on your countertop. Allow the marshmallows to dry for 8 hours at room temperature.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows with powdered sugar. Assemble the zefirs by sticking the ends of two marshmallows together. Repeat until you run out. Enjoy!