A friend of mine brought those piroshki one day to school and shared them with me. I made my mom call her mom and get a recipe. Ever since then they have become my family’s favorite. This dough is perfect for any sweet filled piroshki; I prefer poppy seeds for filling. If you are in for savory piroshki, I have you covered with my sister’s recipe – (recipe/138). I’ve been learning my camera and took lots of pictures this time. Although these are not hard to make, hopefully it will make things even easier! My Kitchen Aid Mixer is very helpful with kneading process.
Other Piroshki Recipes to Try:
Share Some Love ❤️
- Combine yeast together with half a cup of warm milk and one tablespoons of sugar. Let ingredients rest on a counter for 10 minutes.
- In a large bow (I use my 6 quart kitchen aid) combine eggs together with milk, sugar, oil, vanilla and sour cream, whisking ingredients each time.
- Add yeast mixture and one cup of flour into the ingredients, in a large bowl. Whisk everything together, cover with a towel and let it rest in a warm place for an hour.
- Mix in flour by thirds using Kitchen aid mixer or your hands.
- Knead the dough until it is elastic, or at least for 10 minutes.
- Let dough rise for an hour.
- Make small balls out of the dough. Use oil to prevent dough from sticking to your hands. Too much oil on the dough may prevent piroshki from sealing. Flatten out dough and place filling inside.
- Fold over the sides and pinch the edges together to seal the dough.
- Using a deep pan, fill it up with lots of oil. Keep stove top on medium/low heat, while frying.
- Fry each of the piroshki, until they are golden brown on each side. Break one apart to see if it’s cooked through.
- Lay them out on a paper towel, allowing the paper towel to absorb oil.
- I have only made poppy seed filling in a Vitamix blender and it worked great for me. Soak poppy seeds in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain out all water from poppy seeds, combine them together with condensed milk and sugar. Blend for about 30 seconds or until texture is smooth.