This chicken asparagus mushroom stir-fry is a low-carb dinner you’ll crave. With a tasty seasoning of garlic & lime, it’s a dish worthy of being on repeat.
If you’re looking for a simple dinner that’s packed with enough protein and veggies to keep you full, this chicken asparagus mushroom stir fry fits the bill. Serve it as-is for a healthy carb-free meal or on top of your favorite bowl of steamed grains.
Choosing the Right Kind of Chicken
Before you dive into the recipe, let’s chat about a couple of cuts of chicken that work best for this recipe.
- Chicken Tenders (Our Favorite!): We love using chicken tenders for this recipe because they’re ridiculously juicy and tender.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs: Our next favorite cut, chicken thighs have a good amount of dark meat and add a richness to the stir fry.
- Chicken Breast: Chicken breast is also a great option, but be extra careful not to overcook it. It’s prone to drying out and getting tough!
Hot Tip: The safe internal temperature of chicken is 165°F. If you’re unsure about doneness or you kept your chicken slices a bit thicker, use an instant-read meat thermometer.
Preparing this Chicken Asparagus Mushroom Stir Fry
To whip up this simple stir fry, you’ll cook the ingredients in heats to make sure they don’t over or undercook.
- Slice & Brown the Chicken: First, slice the chicken into even-sized pieces. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in a bit of olive oil. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it
- Dice the Veggies: Next, dice the mushrooms, onion, and asparagus into large pieces.
- Sauté the Veggies: Pop the veggies in the skillet and brown them with sea salt and black pepper. Stir in the asparagus to the mixture and cook the veggies for about 2 minutes longer.
- Add in the Chicken: Next, stir in the browned chicken, press in the garlic cloves, and squeeze in the lime juice. Cook for an additional 5 minutes to meld the flavors together and enjoy!
3 Tips for the Best Chicken Asparagus Mushroom Stir Fry
To help you make the best chicken stir fry, follow a couple of tried and true tips.
- Brown the chicken for extra flavor. Browning the chicken adds SO MUCH flavor to the dish and also locks in a wonderful texture to the chicken. Don’t skip this step!
- Tweak the seasoning as you see fit. Depending on how you’re serving the dish, tweak the seasoning accordingly. If you want it Italian-style, add in some dried oregano and a bit of white wine and finish the dish with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. If you want it to be Asian-inspired, add in some soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Add in different vegetables. This dish is perfect for clearing out your produce box, so go crazy! A couple of great options include green or red bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, or cabbage.
Ideas for Serving
Serve the dish as-is or on top of your favorite grain or starch. Steamed white rice, quinoa, buckwheat, or farro are our favorites. If you want to go more decadent and comforting, pair the dish with creamy mashed potatoes.
Storage Best Practices
To keep the dish fresh for up to 5 days, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat, pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes or back in the skillet with a bit of oil until warmed through.
Can you use lemon juice instead of lime juice in chicken asparagus stir fry?
Yes! You can swap lemon juice in for the lime juice in chicken asparagus stir fry for the same citrusy effect. This is especially good if you’re going for an Italian-themed dinner!
What other cuts of meat can you use in stir fry besides chicken?
If you aren’t in the mood for chicken, swap in skirt steak, ribeye, pork tenderloin, or even shrimp. The sky’s the limit and you can’t go wrong!
Does chicken asparagus mushroom stir fry have any carbohydrates?
If you follow the recipe to the T, it is 100% carb-free. Go ahead and have that second serving with zero guilt, friend!
More Chicken Dinners to Try
- One-Pan Roasted Chicken and Potatoes – Roasted quartered chicken & gold potatoes
- Creamy Cauliflower Rice with Chicken – Low-carb chicken & riced cauliflower
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan – Crispy chicken with marinara and cheese
- Comforting Braised Cabbage with Chicken – Mom’s braised cabbage and chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion quarter ring
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 tbsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lime juiced
- Gather all the ingredients for the recipe.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Brown the chicken on a skillet preheated with oil over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- Dice the mushrooms, onion, and asparagus into bite size chunks.
- Brown the mushrooms with the onion and season the veggies with salt and pepper. Stir the asparagus into the skillet and cook the veggies for two more minutes.
- Stir in the chicken pieces. Press the garlic cloves into the pan and squeeze the lime juice in.
- Allow the mixture to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat and serve the stir fry immediately. Enjoy!
How much is a serving? The nutrition facts don’t say the serving size. Thanks(:
Hi Kristyn, this recipe makes 6 servings. I hope this helps. Enjoy!
Delicious!!! This is a favorite, we love asparagus and it's so good with chicken.
Macie- I agree, chicken and asparagus are a good match. Thanks for sharing!
Chicken skillet dinners like this one are my jam! This was a huge winner with my family. Thank you for sharing!
I love hearing that! Thanks for commenting, Anna! 🙂
This is one of those meals that everyone loves!! The flavor is amazing, it's hearty, & no one complains!
Stir fry is great like that!
Can I substitute lemon instead of lime? Thanks
Hi Michelle, yes for sure. It will have a slightly different flavor but it will work well in this recipe. Enjoy
Has anyone tired this with maybe the Nasoya Pasta Zero Shirataki noodles? I thought about adding it tonight with dinner.
That sounds amazing. I bet it will be delicious!
Awesome recipe. Made it a few times. Quick healthy and yummy. You can eat it while on the diet, wish all the diet foods were this good.
I know, right!!! Healthy foods can taste good sometimes 🙂 Thanks for sharing your feedback.
Quick, easy, healthy and very tasty dish. Love it, thank you!
Hey Rose, I am so happy that you liked it. 🙂 thanks for saying hi
Оооооочень вкусно!!! По совету Yulianna, я тоже сделала с гречкой. И в добавок к этому сделала еще салат Arugula Caprese Salad с твоего сайта. Какая ж это вкуснятина!!! Получился просто бомба-ужин! Оценено всем моим семейством, а нас семеро: и все в один голос подтвердили, что все было очень вкусно!!!
Мне нравятся твои рецепты своей простотой, и всегда получаются очень вкусными!!!
Oh my goodness Lana. I think the buckwheat idea is so smart. You guys ate so healthy! That's is a large crowd to feed but must be so much fun to cook for them!
I absolutely loved this dish! It was very easy to make. I felt like buckwheat was the best side dish for it!
Oh I love your idea of buckwheat. I didn't think of that, that is why I love seen your photos. You are so awesome. 😉
I noticed on some of your pictures an orange spatula. It looks like you like it a lot. What brand is it?
I've made something very similar recently and it was very delicious! These ingredient are perfect combination, thanks for sharing recipe
Hey Yana, I totally agree, the combination rocks. 😉
This looks like a great chicken recipe. Will try making this tomorrow!
Hey Inna, I hope you and your family will love this dish. 😉