Drunken cherry cake is one of my favorite cakes. It’s traditionally also a Russian cake, just look at the first ingredient on the list, it tells you a lot, lol.
I love this as a cake roll, because you get so much more of that creamy texture on the inside. The cake is very moist with that kick to it, making it a perfect cake for a feast. With New Years around the corner, this is the cake to make. It’s effortless, but at the same time – so, so good!
Other Cherry Desserts
Share Some Love ❤️
- 2 cup Vodka
- 2 cn Pitted Cherries in Syrup; Morello Cherries (about 48 oz with juice)
- Drain the cherry juice from cherries. Place the cherries in a container and cover with vodka, leave soaking overnight. Keep juice from the cherries for later.
Drunken Cherry Cake
- Preheat over to 350F. In a bowl, combine flour and cacao together.
- Whisk eggs together with sugar until it doubles in volume.
- By thirds, using spatula, fold flour into the egg mixture. Be careful not to over-mix the dough. Take 3/4 of the dough and spread it on a lined baking sheet, 10" X 15". Bake the remainder of the dough any way you want, we'll use it later.
- Remove the cake from the oven, place a kitchen towel over the cake. Roll up the shorter side (horizontally), making it into a long roll. Let it cool down to a room temperature. Remove towel and parchment paper.
Drunken Cherry Cake Cream
- Whip powdered sugar together with 2 cups of heavy whip cream. Make sure that the bowl you're using and the whip cream is very cold, as it will make the cream firm.
- The small piece of the cake that you've baked separately, break into crumbs. Drain vodka out of cherries and add it to the cake crumbs.
- Add in a few large spoonfuls of cream to the mixture and stir to combine together.
- Soak the cake with cherry juice. Apply a bit of cream on it.
- Spread the cherry and cake mixture on the inside of the cake roll, keeping it in a thick layer, covering just 2/3 of the cake. Carefully roll up the other side, it may crack a bit, but it's totally fine.
- Apply the remaining cream to the outside of the cake. Combine chocolate chips together with 1 cup of whipping cream. Microwave until all chocolate is melted, just be sure to stir every few seconds. Let chocolate cool to a room temperature.
- Place chocolate into a ziplock bag, cut a hole in the corner and drizzle the roll with the chocolate.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.