This Strawberry Cake Roll is a fluffy sponge cake, rolled up in a rich cake cream and juicy, fresh strawberries. This cake has so much flavor and is so simple to make, you’ll love every bit of it.
Making a cake roll is very quick and easy. You can literally have a delicious dessert in under an hour. If you are learning how to bake, this is a great recipe to start with. It has the amazing flavor and tender texture as any cake, but it is a lot easier to make.
Hot Tip: You can use any berries in this cake roll recipe. Try switching out the jam and berries or use a different fruit like bananas.
How to Make Strawberry Cake Roll
This strawberry cake roll is so impressive looking, but surprisingly simple to make! The tender sponge cake is only 3 ingredients and the rolling process is easy. Here are the steps to make a strawberry cake roll from scratch:
- Cake Batter: While the oven is preheating, make the cake batter by beating the eggs and sugar together until doubled in volume. Add the flour in thirds and fold gently until just combined.
- Bake Cake: Add the cake batter to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes.
- Roll Cake: Top the hot cake with a kitchen towel and roll the cake. Allow the cake roll to cool before gently removing the towel and parchment. Unroll the cake and spread with the blended strawberries.
- Cake Cream: Make the cake cream by mixing together the softened cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the cold whipping cream until firm. Spread the cake cream over the cake and sprinkle with the diced strawberries.
- Roll and Decorate: Roll the cake up again. Decorate the cake roll with powdered sugar, extra diced strawberries, or more cake cream. Refrigerate until ready to slice and serve.
Tips For a Cake Roll
Making a cake roll is easy! If it’s your first time making a cake roll, then there are a few tricks. Here are a few of my favorite tips to ensure success:
- Cake Batter – When adding the flour to the whisked eggs, fold it in gently to avoid flattening the batter. Air and bubbles in the cake batter give the sponge cake a tender texture.
- Rolling the Baked Cake – It’s best to roll the cake right after it finishes baking. Lay down a clean towel and roll the hot cake. Allow it to cool slightly before carefully unrolling to remove the towel.
- Gently Apply the Cream – Be gentle with the cake when spreading on the cake cream. It’s okay if the cake gets small cracks as you can spread the cream over the cracks to cover them.
- Keep it Cold – Only remove the cake from the fridge right before serving. The cold cream and fresh berries will give it the most refreshing taste.
Making Strawberry Cake Roll in Advance
The strawberry cake roll can be made in advance. Store the finished cake roll in the fridge and remove just before serving. The cake can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Does a cake with fresh strawberries need to be refrigerated?
For best results, a cake made with fresh strawberries should be refrigerated. Storing a strawberry cake in the fridge will extend its shelf life compared to leaving it out at room temperature.
How do I make a cake more moist?
To make the cake more moist, soak the sponge cake in syrup or berry jam. This also gives the cake an extra tart and fruity flavor.
How long can strawberry cake sit out?
The strawberry cake can sit out at room temperature for a few hours. The cake roll filling is made with cream cheese and cream so it needs to be refrigerated after a few hours.
How long can a strawberry cake last?
The strawberry cake can last for about 3 days. It does not last longer than this, because you want the strawberries to be fresh.
Other Cake Rolls to Try
- Dulce De Leche Cake – only 6 ingredients and quick to make.
- Drunken Cherry Cake Roll Recipe – rich sponge cake with vodka soaked cherries.
- Easy Birthday Cake Roulade Recipe – sponge cake rolled up with a cake cream and decorated with sprinkles.
- Cherry Cake Recipe – only 4 simple ingredients for this decadent cake.
- Ferrero Rocher Cake Roll – fun spin on a cake roll using Ferrero Rocher chocolate candies!
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (very cold)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the eggs together with the sugar until it doubles in volume.
- Add the flour to the egg mixture in thirds. Fold gently with each addition until combined. Be careful to not overmix the batter.
- Spread the cake batter onto a lined baking sheet. 10" X 15" is the perfect size. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place a kitchen towel over the cake. Roll up the shorter side, making it into a long roll. Let the roll cool to room temperature. Gently remove the towel and parchment paper.
- Unroll the cake and spread the blended strawberries over the cake. Let the mixture soak for a few minutes while you make the cream.
- To make the cake cream, beat the softened cream cheese with the sugar. Beat until the mixture is smooth and has no lumps. Add the cold whipping cream to the cream cheese mixture and beat until the cream is firm.
- Spread a layer of cream over the cake and sprinkle with some of the diced strawberries.
- Roll the cake back into a roll. Decorate the cake with some powdered sugar, diced strawberries or more cream. Keep it refrigerated until serving.
Hi! For the cream, are you using regular sugar or powdered sugar? Ingredients just say sugar but in the picture, it kinda looks like powdered sugar. Just want to make sure… thanks!
Hi There, I use regular sugar for the cake itself, I only use powdered sugar for the topping. I hope these are the answers you were looking for. Thank you for reaching out, wishing you the best of luck!!
I’ve been making this recipe since I have discovered it, it turns amazing every single time and it was the best recipe to make as a beginner and everyone in my family loves it. Thank you so much. 🙂
Hi Emma, That's so wonderful to hear! Thank you for your kind words. Enjoy!
How long will this cake keep in the fridge? Does it freeze well?
Hi Janet - Thanks for the question! It keeps for up to three days in the fridge. In terms of freezing, I haven't tried it. However, I bet it would be fine if you froze the roll unfrosted (minus the frosting in the middle). When you're ready to thaw, I would place it in the fridge overnight. Let me know if you try the freezing route and how it turns out!
Hey if you don't have a fridge can you leave it to sit at room temp
Hi Jackline, this strawberry cake can sit out at room temperature for a few hours. The cake roll filling is made with cream cheese and cream so it needs to be refrigerated after a few hours.
This was perfect! And absolutely the best dessert for our spring time baby shower. Light and refreshing!
So glad you enjoyed it, thank you for sharing your feedback!
So easy and so wonderfully delicious! Exactly the kind of cake I love! Somehow both light and rich at the same time. Sweet and fruity and wonderfully creamy. So good!
Thank you, Betsy! I'm happy to hear your enjoyed this cake roll!
Cake rolls can be so intimidating to me, but your instructions and tips made it easy! I had a ton of compliments on this one!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it and that you found the instructions helpful, thank you for your feedback!
This was so good it was almost as if I didn't make it!
Sarah, that's an awesome comment. So awesome!Thanks
Hi Natalya. I made this yesterday for a girl baby shower and it was a huge success. Everyone complemented me on this cake roll. Thanks for posting this recipe. Love it.
I am so happy it turned out great 🙂 thanks for sharing with me. I haven't baked in so long. Seems like forever 🙂
Delicious and very easy!
Yours looks incredible! Greg for 4th of just as well. 🙂
Do u think raspberries would work for this type of cake to
Yes, that would work out perfectly.
My version 🙂
I hope you love it!
It was delicious! I've made it twice now!
Oh wow, you are on the roll!
you are awesome! thanks for this beautiful and delicious cake roll! i added tiny chopped strawberries on top of the powder sugar and it looked lovely! very simple, but yummy(: keep up your hard work!
Oh, what an amazing idea to add strawberries on top. You should have attached photo here in comments, so we can all see it!
Do I need to add baking soda? Or are you using self rising flour?
In this case you wouldn't need either. As you beat the eggs they turn out very fluffy and that's what makes the cake very light.
Just made this it smells delish will eat it for breakfast 2morw
That breakfast would make me wake up very early, lol. I hope you guys love it! 🙂
For a first time baker the incorrectly spelled "oven" as over may create a disaster. If you heat the mixture pictured OVER 350 a dear mess you will certainly have.
You are so awesome, thank you so mush. I agree it would make a mess, lol
Yum! 🙂 I cannot wait to try this! 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your wonderful recipes! 🙂
Hey Lena, Thank you so much for great support. People like you inspire me to keep on going.