This Strawberry Cake Roll is a fluffy sponge cake, rolled up in a rich cake cream and juicy, fresh strawberries. This cake has so much flavor and is so simple to make, you’ll love every bit of it.
Making a cake roll is very quick and easy. You can literally have a delicious dessert in under an hour. If you are learning how to bake, this is a great recipe to start with. It has the amazing flavor and tender texture as any cake, but it is a lot easier to make.
Hot Tip: You can use any berries in this cake roll recipe. Try switching out the jam and berries or use a different fruit like bananas.
How to Make Strawberry Cake Roll
This strawberry cake roll is so impressive looking, but surprisingly simple to make! The tender sponge cake is only 3 ingredients and the rolling process is easy. Here are the steps to make a strawberry cake roll from scratch:
- Cake Batter: While the oven is preheating, make the cake batter by beating the eggs and sugar together until doubled in volume. Add the flour in thirds and fold gently until just combined.
- Bake Cake: Add the cake batter to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes.
- Roll Cake: Top the hot cake with a kitchen towel and roll the cake. Allow the cake roll to cool before gently removing the towel and parchment. Unroll the cake and spread with the blended strawberries.
- Cake Cream: Make the cake cream by mixing together the softened cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the cold whipping cream until firm. Spread the cake cream over the cake and sprinkle with the diced strawberries.
- Roll and Decorate: Roll the cake up again. Decorate the cake roll with powdered sugar, extra diced strawberries, or more cake cream. Refrigerate until ready to slice and serve.
Tips For a Cake Roll
Making a cake roll is easy! If it’s your first time making a cake roll, then there are a few tricks. Here are a few of my favorite tips to ensure success:
- Cake Batter – When adding the flour to the whisked eggs, fold it in gently to avoid flattening the batter. Air and bubbles in the cake batter give the sponge cake a tender texture.
- Rolling the Baked Cake – It’s best to roll the cake right after it finishes baking. Lay down a clean towel and roll the hot cake. Allow it to cool slightly before carefully unrolling to remove the towel.
- Gently Apply the Cream – Be gentle with the cake when spreading on the cake cream. It’s okay if the cake gets small cracks as you can spread the cream over the cracks to cover them.
- Keep it Cold – Only remove the cake from the fridge right before serving. The cold cream and fresh berries will give it the most refreshing taste.
Making Strawberry Cake Roll in Advance
The strawberry cake roll can be made in advance. Store the finished cake roll in the fridge and remove just before serving. The cake can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Does a cake with fresh strawberries need to be refrigerated?
For best results, a cake made with fresh strawberries should be refrigerated. Storing a strawberry cake in the fridge will extend its shelf life compared to leaving it out at room temperature.
How do I make a cake more moist?
To make the cake more moist, soak the sponge cake in syrup or berry jam. This also gives the cake an extra tart and fruity flavor.
How long can strawberry cake sit out?
The strawberry cake can sit out at room temperature for a few hours. The cake roll filling is made with cream cheese and cream so it needs to be refrigerated after a few hours.
How long can a strawberry cake last?
The strawberry cake can last for about 3 days. It does not last longer than this, because you want the strawberries to be fresh.
Other Cake Rolls to Try
- Dulce De Leche Cake – only 6 ingredients and quick to make.
- Drunken Cherry Cake Roll Recipe – rich sponge cake with vodka soaked cherries.
- Easy Birthday Cake Roulade Recipe – sponge cake rolled up with a cake cream and decorated with sprinkles.
- Cherry Cake Recipe – only 4 simple ingredients for this decadent cake.
- Ferrero Rocher Cake Roll – fun spin on a cake roll using Ferrero Rocher chocolate candies!
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (very cold)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the eggs together with the sugar until it doubles in volume.
- Add the flour to the egg mixture in thirds. Fold gently with each addition until combined. Be careful to not overmix the batter.
- Spread the cake batter onto a lined baking sheet. 10" X 15" is the perfect size. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place a kitchen towel over the cake. Roll up the shorter side, making it into a long roll. Let the roll cool to room temperature. Gently remove the towel and parchment paper.
- Unroll the cake and spread the blended strawberries over the cake. Let the mixture soak for a few minutes while you make the cream.
- To make the cake cream, beat the softened cream cheese with the sugar. Beat until the mixture is smooth and has no lumps. Add the cold whipping cream to the cream cheese mixture and beat until the cream is firm.
- Spread a layer of cream over the cake and sprinkle with some of the diced strawberries.
- Roll the cake back into a roll. Decorate the cake with some powdered sugar, diced strawberries or more cream. Keep it refrigerated until serving.