This baked cod fillets recipe is white fish at its best. Using just one pan and a handful of ingredients, it makes for a healthy & filling dinner.
Love cod? This easy potato and cod recipe is another great sheet pan meal.
Oftentimes, cod gets stereotyped as a boring fish. That’s such a shame because when cooked the right way it tastes like a 5-star meal. This easy baked cod recipe is the perfect example of what can happen when you let wholesome ingredients speak for themselves. Whether it’s a hectic weeknight or you’re hosting a dinner party, flaky fish and perfectly cooked veggies are always a crowd pleaser.
The Best Kind of Cod to Use
Cod fillets work best. While Pacific cod touts a thicker fillet than Atlantic, either will work just fine for this recipe. Fresh is always preferred, but if you need to use frozen make sure it’s completely thawed before you bake it. To do so, pop it in the fridge overnight.
Preparing this Easy Baked Cod
The first step to making this recipe is to trim down the cod into smaller pieces or keep it in whole fish fillets. It’s your choice!
- Slice the Veggies: Next, slice the onion and bell peppers into small pieces.
- Season the Veggies & Cod: Assemble the sliced veggies on the baking dish or a baking sheet with parchment paper, followed by the pieces of cod. Then, season liberally with garlic parsley salt and top the fish with pieces of butter.
- Bake the Cod: Pop the pan in the oven and bake the cod at 400°F for about 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and green onions and serve alongside your favorite grain or potato dish. Enjoy!
3 Tips for Moist & Tender Baked Cod
Baked cod is hard to mess up, but a couple of tips will help you nail it.
- Pat the fish dry of excess moisture. Before seasoning the cod, pat it dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. This will help the fish get a nice, lightly golden brown crust.
- Use a meat thermometer to check doneness. Take the guesswork out of checking the doneness of the cod by using an instant-read thermometer. The internal temperature should reach 145°F.
- Experiment with different seasonings. Cod couldn’t be more versatile, so go ahead and add your favorite seasoning to suit your taste buds. Fresh lemon juice, fresh basil, black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika are all great options and add an extra layer of flavor. Or, swap out the butter for olive oil if you’d like.
Different Ways to Serve Baked Cod
This baked cod makes for the perfect light lunch or dinner. Serve it alongside creamy cauliflower rice or some quinoa for a well-rounded meal. Or, sandwich the fillets between two slices of bread with tartar sauce and serve the veggies as your side dish.
Storing Baked Cod
Cod is great for meal prep! To keep baked cod on hand for up to a 3 days, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. This will keep it from drying out or absorbing any lingering smells in your refrigerator. Avoid freezing the dish, as the veggies are prone to turning soggy upon thawing.
How long does it take to bake cod?
Baked cod takes about 15 minutes at 400°F. This can vary a couple of minutes in either direction depending on the thickness of your fillets.
What makes baked cod tough?
Baked cod will turn tough if you overcook it. It’s a very delicate fish, so keep a close eye on it and check how it’s coming along about halfway through the cooking time.
How do you know cod is done?
It’s ready when its internal temperature reaches 145°F and the fish flakes easily with a fork.
How should you thaw frozen cod?
The best way to thaw frozen cod is in the refrigerator overnight. If you need to thaw it quickly, stick it in cold water (while still in a bag or airtight package) for 20-30 minutes.
Other Cod Fish Recipes:
- Buttered Cod Recipe – Buttery, lemony cod
- Baked Cod With Vegetables Recipe – Baked cod in tomato sauce and veggies
- Crispy Air Fryer Cod (15 minutes) – No-guilt, crispy cod
- Pan-Fried Cod Recipe (Tips for Cooking Cod) – Simple pan-fried cod
- Slice the cod fillets into smaller pieces or keep them whole. Next, slice the onion and bell peppers into bite-sized pieces.
- Place all the vegetables in one layer on the baking sheet. Assemble the cod evenly throughout the pan. Season with garlic parsley salt and add chunks of butter on top of the cod.
- Bake the cod at 400°F for about 15 minutes. It'll be ready once its internal temperature reaches 145°F. Enjoy!