Bird’s Milk Cake is a custard cake, also called “Ptichye Moloko”. Bird’s MilkCake is mousse-like, covered in rich chocolate ganache and a nice hint of fruits on top.
Bird’s Milk Cake might be an odd name, but it’s a very common Russian dessert. Most kids that grow up in Russian culture have triedPtichye Moloko. It’s also popular here in the states, you can find it in most Russian markets, either in a cake or candy form.
Tips for Making the Bird’s Milk Cake (Ptichye Moloko)
- Prepare all ingredients ahead of time, and read all step by step instructions before starting.
- Give each layer of Bird’s Milk Cake at least 30 minutes to set.
- Once you fill up the cake pan, use a spatula to smooth out the cake.
- Once you remove the cake from the pan, use a knife at an angle to smooth out the sides of the cake.
- Bird’s Milk Cake can be refrigerated for several days as long as it’s stored in a sealed container.
Other Russian Cakes to Try
Share Some Love ❤️
- 1/2 cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Whipping Cream
- Whisk gelatin into milk, warm it up to dissolve gelatin.
- Combine cool whip together with sour cream and sugar. Using an electric mixer, mix until the sugar is dissolved. Mix milk in small portions, until you get a smooth consistency.
- Oil all sides of the 9-inch cake pan, this will help you with removing the cake in the end. Place half of the mixture into the pan. Refrigerate until the layer hardens.
- Using an electric mixer, add cacao into the second part of the Bird’s Milk Cake. Keep the chocolate custard in a warm place while the white layer is setting.
- Carefully apply the cacao mixture on top of the while layer. Place the cake in the fridge to set.
- In a separate dish, combine chocolate chips together with whipping cream. Heat microwave in 30-second intervals and stir in between. Continue the process until the chocolate ganache looks smooth. Set aside and let it cool to room temperature.
- Remove the cake from the fridge. Carefully using a knife, go along all sides of the pan. Place the cake upside down on a cake stand, remove it from the pan. Spread chocolate on the top of the cake.
- Decorate with fruits of your choice; berries would work best. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.