This is the vegetable soup recipe of all vegetable soup recipes! Full of tender rice & colorful veggies, all nestled in a silky broth.
Whether you’re trying to lighten up for Meatless Monday or are looking to meal prep a big batch of soup for the week, look no further than this crazy easy homemade vegetable soup. It’s the perfect way to jam a ton of veggies into your diet with minimal prep or fuss. Oh, and did we mention it’s incredible delicious?
Preparing this Crazy Easy Vegetable Soup
To kick off the process, first add the veggie broth and rice to a soup pot, bring it to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the Veggies: Next, add in the carrots, onion, potatoes, bell pepper, celery, and canned tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes. Then, add the broccoli and green onions and let the soup simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season the Soup: Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Serve while it’s piping hot and enjoy!
3 Key Tips for Making the Tastiest Veggie Soup
This veggie soup isn’t difficult to make by any means, but a couple of tips will help you nail it.
- Make the soup in a Dutch oven. Prepare this soup in a Dutch oven if you have one. When it comes to soup, nothing retains moisture, flavor, and heat quite like this wonder pot.
- Keep the heat on medium. Prevent overcooking the veggies and rice by keeping the soup over a steady, medium heat. If you have more time, feel free to drop it even lower.
- Cook the soup uncovered. There’s no need to cook this soup with the lid on. In fact, it will cause the veggies and rice to steam and become soggy.
Different Ingredients for Vegetable Soup
Consider this vegetable soup the perfect base to experiment with and make your own. Below, find a handful of ingredients to inspire you (there’s even a little something for you meat eaters out there).
- Seasoning: Give the soup a couple of shakes of Italian seasoning, or opt for fresh thyme or fresh parsley.
- Veggies: If the veggies included in the recipe don’t suite you, feel free to add or swap in kale, garlic, green beans, butternut squash, zucchini, spinach, cauliflower, or whichever veggie sounds good to you!
- Protein: Okay, this is a veggie soup but if you want to pop in some protein no one is stopping you. Lean meat like chuck roast or pork shoulder will work great. Simmer it in the broth for an hour before adding the rice and veggies.
- Broth: Go ahead and swap out the vegetable stock for chicken broth or chicken stock if you’d like.
Ideas for Serving Your Veggie Soup
For a light meal, serve the veggie soup in large bowls topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of your favorite herbs. Or, serve it as an appetizer soup ahead of a cast iron ribeye steak dinner with creamy mashed potatoes.
Storing & Reheating Tips
This soup is perfect for meal prep. Make a huge batch on Sunday and store it in the fridge in an airtight container for quick meals throughout the week. Avoid popping it in the freezer, as the cooked veggies turn mushy upon reheating.
Reheating Tip: Pop the soup in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
What can you add to bland vegetable soup besides salt?
To spruce up veggie soup without adding salt, squeeze in some lemon juice or add a bite of white wine vinegar.
How can you thicken up vegetable soup?
Add a bit of flour or cornstarch if you’d like a thicker broth.
Do potatoes thicken soup?
Yes, the starch from potatoes will naturally thicken the soup broth.
What can you add to veggie soup to make it more filling?
Add in your favorite legume to make the soup more filling. Garbanzo beans and lentils are both great choices.
Other Tasty Soup Recipes
- Dumpling (Pelmeni) Soup – Slavic meat dumpling soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup – Chicken & potato dumpling soup
- Tomato Basil Soup + Video (So Easy) – Creamy tomato soup
- Creamy Vegetarian Borscht Recipe – Veggie & sour cream borscht
- 3 qts veggie broth
- 1/4 cup rice
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 3 medium potatoes diced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper cubed
- 2 cup broccoli diced
- 1 cup green onions diced
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper adjust to taste
- Add the broth and rice into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the carrots, onion, potatoes, bell pepper, celery, and canned tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the broccoli and green onions. Let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Looks great, I'm looking for healthy recipes and this looks yummy and nutritious
Hi Anna! Yes this soup is yummy and colorful! I am with you on the healthy recipe part. Have been scanning all recipes for some healthy choices;) Sticking to New Years resokution?:)