This creamy cucumber salad recipe is the definition of refreshing and simple. The combination of fresh dill, sliced cucumbers, and sour cream dressing will have you coming back for bowl after bowl.
15-minute creamy cucumber salad is an easy side dish that packs a lot of punch. Made with English cucumbers, fresh dill, chopped scallions, and creamy dressing, it’s herby, refreshing, and crunchy. It’s also one of my favorite cucumber salad recipes of all time and I know you’re going to love it!
Whether you just picked up a huge haul of cucumbers from the farmer’s market or are just looking to satiate your need for that sweet, sweet cucumber crunch, this recipe comes together super quick and is the perfect addition to almost any spread.
Let’s get to it!
What is Creamy Cucumber Salad?
Creamy cucumber salad is a summertime staple that’s perfect for any BBQ or potluck. Below, find an overview of the flavor, texture, and cooking time for this recipe.
- Flavor: Creamy cucumber salad tastes light, tangy, and refreshing. Think about it like tzatziki sauce, but in reverse – more cucumbers, less dressing.
- Texture: The texture of creamy cucumber salad is crunchy, yet smooth.
- Cooking Time: From start to finish, this recipe takes only 15 minutes to make and is best served right away.
How to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
Making creamy cucumber salad only requires a little light chopping and mixing. Below, find a quick overview of the recipe before you dive in.
- Prepare the Cucumbers: Decide if you prefer the cucumber skin on or peeled (skin-on is recommended!). Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the cucumbers into half circles and place them in a large bowl.
- Prepare the Dressing: Chop the scallions and dill and toss them into the bowl. Press in the garlic and add in the sour cream. Season with a touch of salt.
- Stir & Serve: Stir the salad until the dressing is well combined. Do a little taste test to ensure the salt levels are right. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Creamy Cucumber Salad
Below, find a collection of tips to help you make the best creamy cucumber salad in town.
- Chop the cucumbers into equal-sized pieces. For the best texture, make sure to chop your cucumbers into similar-sized half circles. You don’t need to be perfect, but try to be as consistent as possible!
- Only pull cucumbers out right before you chop them. Cold cucumbers are key to making this salad as refreshing as possible. Only pull them out of the refrigerator right before you plan to chop them.
- Don’t let the salad marinate too long. This cucumber salad is best eaten within 2 hours of preparation. If you let it sit too long, the cucumbers will “sweat” and make your dressing watery. Some things are best eaten fresh and this salad is one of them!
- Use fresh dill versus dried dill. Fresh dill is where it’s at. Nothing compares to the flavor of fresh herbs and this simple salad depends on them.
Looking for a healthier dressing alternative? Try swapping the sour cream with low or non-fat Greek yogurt for a just-as-creamy, but lower-calorie creamy cucumber salad. Bonus: Switching to greek yogurt also adds extra protein. Hello, filling weekday lunch!
Serving Creamy Cucumber Salad
You can serve creamy cucumber salad as a refreshing side dish to most grilled meats. Since it has a bit of Greek flair to it, make a round of lamb, pork, or chicken kabobs to pair it will. Or, serve it alongside a Philly cheesesteak sandwich for an easy weeknight dinner. It’s also a wonderful candidate for your next BBQ, potluck, or family get-together. It’s a true crowd pleaser!
Storing Creamy Cucumber Salad
Storing creamy cucumber salad past two hours in the refrigerator is not recommended. Because cucumbers retain a lot of moisture, this salad is best eaten fresh. If you must keep it in the refrigerator before serving, make sure it’s stored in an airtight container so it doesn’t absorb any smells lingering in your refrigerator.
How do I keep cucumbers from becoming soggy?
Prevent cucumbers from becoming soggy by only preparing this salad right before you plan to serve it. The longer the cucumbers sit in the dressing, the soggier they will become. This salad is best eaten fresh!
What kind of cucumbers should I use?
For this creamy cucumber salad recipe, you will use English cucumbers (sometimes referred to as seedless or Hothouse). This type of cucumber is known for its thin, easy-to-eat skin, sweeter taste, and edible seeds.
How long will creamy cucumber salad last?
Creamy cucumber salad will only stay fresh for a couple of hours.
A Quick Lesson in Different Cucumbers
Even though English cucumbers for this recipe, don’t fret if you only have another variety on hand. Below, find some of the most common varieties of cucumber and how to alter creamy cucumber salad for each:
- American Slicing: This cucumber is the most common. Typically, the outside skin is covered in a protective wax to prevent damage. If you decide to use it, make sure you wash the outside thoroughly to remove the wax. You can also peel the skin completely or partially off. Then, slice this cucumber down the middle. Take a spoon and scoop out the seeds and slice into half-moon-shaped pieces.
- Persian Cucumbers: Besides being absolutely adorable, Persian cucumbers have similar qualities to English cucumbers. They are about 6-inches long at their biggest and have thin, edible skin and minimal seeds. Chop and prepare them just like their English cousins.
Other Yummy Cucumber Salads
- Broccoli, Cucumber, and Tomato Salad – Chunky and refreshing
- Cabbage Salad – Classic cabbage and cucumber slaw
- Marinated Cucumbers – Tangy and simple
- Gather your ingredients. Note: Make sure your cucumbers are fresh out of the refrigerator. This salad is best when served cold and refreshing!
- At this point, you can peel the cucumber skin or leave it on. It's up to you! Then, using a sharp knife, slice the cucumber into equal-sized half circles.
- Dice the scallions and dill and place the herb into the bowl. Press or finely mince the garlic and add it into the bowl. Season with salt. Add the sour cream.
- Stir to combine and serve right away!