You guys often ask for slow cooker recipes and I am on a mission to fulfill your desires 🙂 This dish is inspired by Pilaf recipe, but with a healthier twist to it. Barley is a whole grain that has a lot of great nutrients, it will keep you filled for hours, making it a great option for those who are trying to eat healthier.
You don’t have to precook the meat and vegetables, although I do like to, since it adds extra flavors to the dish. But on days when I am just a busy bee, I would toss everything and let it do its magic. Also, I like to pre-cut everything the night before, that way it won’t hold up my plans in the morning.
Other Similar Recipes
Share Some Love ❤️
- Prepare ingredients for the dish. Cut mushrooms into four pieces, cut meat into cubes, dice onions and carrots into chunks.
- Preheat skillet to a high heat, brown the meat until it's browned. Remove meat form the skillet and place it into a slow cooker.
- Into the same skillet, place carrots and onion and cook until they are lightly browned. Place them into a slow cooker.
- Brown mushrooms on a skillet and add them into the slow cooker.
- Into the slow cooker, add in barley, bay leaves, better than bullion and season with salt. Fill the slow cooker with water, covering 2/3 of the ingredients(I used about 2.5 cups).
- Depending on your slow cooker you would need to cook the food on high for 2-4 hours. Check while it's cooking to see if it's ready.