Crispy Roasted Cabbage is going to be your new favorite side dish. A spin on the wedge salad, this great recipe will make your tastebuds sing.
Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks is definitely a staple at all of our family parties. My mom often switches up the recipe and debuts a combination of toppings that makes us all fall in love with these steaks all over again.
Crispy Roasted Cabbage is not only delicious, it is one of the easiest side dishes you will make. With just 5 minutes and a bit of prep work these come out crispy and perfect each and every time.
With this recipe, you’ll never again be forced to eat cabbage. This veggie is wonderful when it has the right texture and seasoning.
How to Make Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Follow these simple and easy steps to get perfect cabbage steaks:
- Preheat your oven and cut your cabbage into steaks. Coat each steak evenly with oil.
- Season them with salt and pepper, place them on a baking sheet in a single layer, and bake. Be sure to flip halfway through so the other side gets nice and crispy.
- Pan fry your bacon bits, drain of excess oil and set aside.
- Pull cabbage from the oven, sprinkle with bacon bits and herbs, and serve warm!
Serving Roasted Cabbage
Roasted cabbage goes wonderful with most meats but we love to pair these steaks with some of our favorite beef dishes. From the Cast Iron Ribeye to Smoked Beef Brisket to Carne Asada, pairing these steaks with protein makes for a wonderfully well rounded, low-carb meal.
If you’re looking to pair your cabbage steaks with something for a lighter lunch or brunch menu, pair them with Minestrone Soup or some Crispy Air Fryer Cod.
Store leftover roasted cabbage in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Since cabbage can get soggy, it’s best if you eat it within a day or two.
To reheat it, I suggest using an oven or air fryer. This will help it return to that irresistibly crispy state. If you must, you can use a microwave — just know that your cabbage steaks are going to get a little rubbery.
Is roasted cabbage healthy?
Roasted green cabbage is absolutely healthy for you. It’s packed with fiber and very filling. When you’re cutting down on carbs or just trying to lighten your diet up, it’s the perfect veggie to keep your full longer with very little calories.
What protein goes with cabbage?
We love pairing our cabbage with beef, but feel free to substitute grilled or roasted chicken or a pork roast. Truly any gamey meat will suffice.
How should I reheat roasted cabbage?
Reheat roasted cabbage in an air fryer, toaster oven or conventional oven. It should only take couple minutes on either side to crisp it up again.
How do I cut a cabbage head?
If you haven’t cut cabbage steaks before, it’s not as tricky as it might look. There is a very thick core in the center of a cabbage head. It’s about two inches thick. The best way to cut the cabbage into steaks is to start at the core and cut your way out. Using the core as a point of stability will help you prevent slippage.
Other Cabbage Recipes
Love green cabbage and can’t get enough? Us either. Try these other phenomenal recipes:
- Cabbage Soup Recipe – Cabbage Soup is my secret weapon when it comes to dieting.
- Cabbage Roll Soup – Cabbage rolls in soup form. This spin on a popular classic Slavic recipe will have you coming back for seconds and thirds
- Cabbage Rolls – Every Eastern European has a cabbage roll recipe they tout is the best. This is no different!
- Roasted Cabbage Wedge Salad – Chilled roasted cabbage salad
- 1 small cabbage remove leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup bacon
- 1 tsp fresh parsley for garnsih
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut cabbage into 1/2 inch steaks. Coat them evenly with oil on both sides and place them flat on a baking sheet.
- Season them generously with salt and pepper. Bake for 12 minutes, gently flip them over halfway through and bake for 12 more minutes or until they are golden.
- While the cabbage is roasting, chop bacon into small cubes. Fry bacon bits until golden brown. Set aside.
- Once cabbage it roasted, sprinkle bacon bits over each steak and garnish with fresh herbs. Serve and enjoy!
Amazing! Husband loves cabbage and I brush with olive oil and just use Mediterranean seasoning. I tried wedges but love the even caramelization with the steaks! What is great about cabbage is you can season it differently according to the dish. Thank you!
Hi there - 100%! Cabbage is so versatile. I love the idea of Mediterranean seasoning. I'll have to try that sometime. Thanks for the feedback.
Easy and tasty! Thanks for giving me another nummy way to eat cabbage!
Hi Grace, I am so glad you loved the recipe! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!
This cabbage steak is so easy to make and very delicious too! We paired this with our steak and it was a perfect combo. Thank you for this great recipe!
Yes, it pairs so well with any dinner! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe.
These are so good! Super easy to make and the bacon tops it off perfectly!
Thank you Ashley! The bacon adds a nice flavor to it!
I LOVE this delicious cabbage recipe! It's so easy to make and great as a side dish or light lunch!
I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for your feedback.