Braised cabbage with rice is a filling dish that is made all in one pan. It makes for a perfectly healthy lunch or dinner and it reheats amazingly.
This recipe comes straight out of my mom’s kitchen. For special occasions or weekend dinners, she would whip this up for us and it was always just oh so comforting and guilt-free.
Cabbage was a staple in our home and there were so many different dishes I grew up with that use this inexpensive, but nourishing veggie as a base. From cabbage rolls to cabbage soup to pickled cabbage and beets and overnight sauerkraut, there is always a cabbage dish that fit my Ukrainian cravings.
Can you Eat Raw Cabbage?
If you like coleslaw, you like raw cabbage! Some people think the veggie is too thick to be eaten raw. I for one, disagree. It’s all about how you slice it. The thinner the better! I also find that cabbage salads keep their texture much longer than lettuce-based salads. See ya later soggy lettuce!
How do you Cut Cabbage?
You can chop your cabbage by hand with a sharp knife. Since we are braising the cabbage, it will cook down significantly so you can use larger pieces and be just fine.
If you are going to make a raw cabbage salad, I would recommend using a mandoline slicer.
Tips for Braised Cabbage
- Cook all the ingredients on high-heat. Once you add the rice, lower the heat so it has time to cook nicely.
- Substitute chicken with beef, lamb or pork if you so please. Just make sure to pick leaner cuts so your dish isn’t too greasy.
- Cut your carrots in larger pieces. They add a ton of flavor as they cook!
- Trying to go low-carb? Omit the rice and double up the shredded cabbage!
- If you like it a little spicy, add some red pepper flakes in.
More Quick Dinner Ideas…
- Stuffed Bell Peppers – The Classic Ukrainian recipe that will win you over!
- Rice Stuffed Chicken Thighs – Chicken is so crispy on the outside and juicy, while the rice is flavorful with all the chicken juices!
- Creamy Shrimp Scampi – Oh the job of creamy goodness!
Share Some Love ❤️
- In a deep pan, preheat olive oil and add chicken, cook until each side is golden brown.
- Add onions and carrots to the chicken, sautée for about 10 minutes.
- To the cooking ingredients, add cabbage, rice, tomatoes and ketchup. Season with salt & pepper, adjust to taste.
- Reduce temperature to a medium-low. Cover with a lid and cook everything for about 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes. If, while cooking, rice happens to absorb all juices from the cabbage, you may need to add a bit of water. Taste to make sure that rice is completely cooked.