This dish is pretty weird if you are not growing up with this dish around. In Ukraine people make it around holidays or some other occasions. When we moved to USA with my family, mom made holodets and as all Ukrainians she wanted to give this treat to neighbors, just to say hi and be friendly. Well few days later, neighbor brough plate and said “good soup”. Ohhh lol… you eat it cold almost like salty jello(sounds bad, but with mashed potatoes I actually really like it)
Share Some Love ❤️
- Place cooking pot with water, chicken, carrots, onion, salt and pepper to taste. All just together and bring up to boil. Turn heat on really low and let cook for 5-6 hours.
- Remove carrots and onions. You can use carrots for decorations and you can throw away onion. Remove chicken from pot. Clean chicken off bone, break chicken into small pieces.
- In small cup, add room temperature water and dissolve gelatin with water. Once its dissolved add to broth.
- In flat glass pan place chicken, sprinkle with parsley and dill. Pour some of the cooking broth over chicken. Let it stay in fridge to firm up. Once first layer is firm, you can place decorations over it.
- Cover decorations with more broth(make sure it’s in room temperature, otherwise first layer can melt)
- Once that layer is firm, pour the rest of the broth. Wait until completely firm.
- Cut in cubes and serve. It goes the best with potatoes.