This eggplant appetizer is quite common at Slavic weddings here in WA. It works perfectly for summer, while all the veggies are fresh and nutritious. I like the lightness of the calories in this dish, got to keep the body in shape for that bikini, right? lol. But for real, it is a pretty good dish.
The cool bonus about it, is that it is served cold, so you can keep on serving it throughout the next few days.
Share Some Love ❤️
- Rinse the eggplants under cold water. Slice them into 1/4-inch thick circles or lengthwise strips.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet. Brush each one with oil on both sides. Next, bake the eggplant until it softens (about 5 minutes). Alternatively, you can use the grill to cook the eggplant if you want a smokier flavor.
- Clean and grate the carrot. Next, dice the onions and remove the skins from the garlic cloves.
- Preheat a skillet over medium-heat with tablespoons of oil. Cook the carrots and onions until they soften. Next, add the tomato paste and mayonnaise, continually stirring the mixture to prevent it from burning. Add the pressed garlic and season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place a spoonful of the sautéed veggie mixture at the end of each of the eggplant strips and roll them up. For the round pieces, place a spoonful of the veggie mixture in the center and fold both sides over.
- Keep the eggplant roll-ups refrigerated until you're ready to serve them. Enjoy!