This eggplant appetizer is quite common at Slavic weddings here in WA. It works perfectly for summer, while all the veggies are fresh and nutritious. I like the lightness of the calories in this dish, got to keep the body in shape for that bikini, right? lol. But for real, it is a pretty good dish.
The cool bonus about it, is that it is served cold, so you can keep on serving it throughout the next few days.
Share Some Love ❤️
- 2 medium Eggplants
- 1 large Carrot
- 1 large Scallion or small Yellow Onion
- 1 Garlic Head
- tbsp Oil
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Rinse eggplant under cold water. Slice it into 1/4 inch thick circles; you can also cut it lengthwise.
- Preheat oven to 450F, place slices on a baking sheet. Brush with oil on both sides. Lightly sprinkle one side with salt. Bake until the eggplant softens; for about 5 minutes. You can also use a grill for cooking eggplants.
- Clean and grate carrots. Dice onions and clean garlic cloves.
- Preheat skilled on a medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook carrots and onions until soft, add tomato paste, mayonnaise, continue stirring food as it cooks. In the end, add pressed garlic, season with salt and pepper.
- Place a spoonful of sauteed mixture at a single end of the strip and roll it up. For the round pieces, place mixture in the middle and fold the both sides over.
- Keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve.