Apricot farmers cheesecake is a wonderful Polish-style dessert. If you like American-style cheesecakes, you must try this cake!
For this recipe, you will need to make homemade farmers cheese. Similar to cottage cheese, farmer cheese is full of moisture and perfect for baking.
Apricot farmers cheesecake is not overly sweet, especially if you use fresh apricots. If you have an insane sweet tooth, double the sugar for both the filling and the crust. Go ahead, no one is judging here…
Farmers cheesecake, or “sernik” in Polish, is a very popular dish in Eastern Europe. It’s a simple and cheap dessert, lauded for its pure flavors and mild sweetness.
Typically eaten around Easter and Christmas, this cake is perfect all-year-around. Swap in your favorite fruit or add a drizzle of chocolate.
What is Farmers Cheese?
Farmers cheese is an unaged, fresh cheese made with just three simple ingredients — whole milk, vinegar and lemon juice. This mild white cheese is crumbly and perfect for baking both sweet and savory treats.
Fruits For Farmers Cheesecake
Any fresh or canned fruit pairs wonderfully with the creamy texture of this cake. Here are a couple great options:
- Plums – Prune plums are the best option. They are about half the size of traditional plum and have an egg shape. When baked, they turn into a wonderful jam-like consistency.
- Peaches – Yellow peaches — canned or fresh — work lovely. Keep in mind canned varieties will be much sweeter due to the syrup they are preserved in.
- Cherries – Use tart pitted cherries and make sure they are fresh.
- Berries – Blackberries, raspberries and blueberries are our favorites. Not only do they taste delicious in this cake, they add a beautiful stripe of color to the cake.
Other Farmers Cheese Recipes
- Farmer’s Cheese Doughnuts – These quick doughnuts are moist, dense and perfect paired with a hot cup of coffee on a lazy Sunday.
- Farmers Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe – This coffee cake never comes out dry. You’re going to fall madly in love…
- Puff Pastry Cheese Turnovers – These adorable turnovers are stuffed with farmers cheese, cream cheese and a generous amount of sugar.
- Pierogi with Farmers Cheese – Sweet pierogi stuffed with cheese and paired with jam. What more is there to say?
Share Some Love ❤️
- Gather all your ingredients and let your butter soften at room temperature.
- Using a fork, combine butter with 1/3 cup sugar. Whisk in three eggs.
- Add flour and baking powder into the mixture and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Grab an 11-inch wide baking dish. Place the dough in the center. Using your fingers, work the dough to cover the inside of the baking dish, creating a deep dish crust.
- Cut apricots in half and place them flesh side down at the bottom of the dish.
- Whisk 3 eggs until smooth. Add farmers cheese and potato starch into the beaten eggs. Whisk or beat with a mixer until the mixture is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk heavy whipping cream with 1/2 cup sugar until you get stiff peaks. Fold whipping cream into the farmers cheese mixture.
- Spread cheese mixture over the top of the apricots.
- Bake at 350 °F for 60-75 minutes. Test doneness by touching the center. It should be on a firm side. Let the cake cool completely before serving.