These sweet and salty chicken skewers recipe only takes 30 minutes and is such a crowdpleaser. Perfect for your next backyard BBQ and great for meal prep!
This chicken skewers recipe is made with chicken breast and a sweet and savory marinade. But, as you may know, chicken breast can be a bit on the dry side and is an easy protein to overcook. In this recipe, I’ll share my secret weapon to getting the moistest chicken breast skewers on the planet (hint: it involves ranch!).
Wooden Skewers vs. Metal Skewers
To make this chicken skewers recipe, you’re going to need a set of skewers. The two most common types are wooden and metal. Here’s the down-low on each:
- Wooden Skewers – Wooden skewers are single-use and can be tossed after you’re finished eating. You’ll need to soak them in water before threading the meat on and popping them on the grill grates. This helps prevent the wood from burning over an open flame.
- Metal Skewers – On the other hand, metal skewers can be used over and over again and are much sturdier than wooden skewers. They also don’t need to be soaked!
Making this Extra Juicy Chicken Skewers Recipe
Making this chicken skewers recipe is super simple, with 90% of the success dependent on you giving the chicken a proper marinade.
- Prepare the Chicken. Firstly, slice the boneless skinless chicken breasts into 2-inch pieces. Then, transfer the chicken chunks to a large bowl.
- Season the Marinade: Next, add ranch, honey, soy sauce, pressed garlic(optional), ginger and lime juice into the bowl, stir to combine, and allow the chicken to marinate for a few more hours.
- Assemble the Skewers: Then, thread the chicken onto your skewers, leaving a bit of space at the bottom.
- Grill the Skewers: Finally, grill the chicken kabobs on each side until golden brown and fully cooked through. Bon appetit!
Veggie Hack: If you want a built-in side dish, alternate the chicken with 1-inch slices of zucchini, red onions, mushrooms, garlic cloves, bell pepper, or whatever other vegetables you like best.
Serving this Chicken Skewers Recipe
For a complete meal suitable for a hectic weeknight, serve this chicken skewers recipe alongside steamed rice and air fryer broccoli. If you’re in BBQ mode, whip up some grilled ribeyes, corn on the cob, and foil packet potatoes for a full-blown feast.
Storing & Reheating Tips
To keep the skewers on hand for up to 3 days, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. This will prevent them from drying out, while also helping to lock in the moisture to the meat.
Reheating Tip: To reheat the shrimp, pop them in the oven in a baking dish covered with aluminum foil or nuke them in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Can you cook chicken skewers in the oven?
Yes, you can cook chicken skewers in the oven by placing them on top of a wire rack. This will elevate the skewers, allowing them to get 360-degree attention from the heat. All you have to do? Thread the chicken pieces on the skewers, then bake them for 15 minutes at 450°F. To get a crispy outer crust, broil them for 1-2 minutes on high.
How long do chicken skewers take to grill?
It takes about 20 minutes to grill chicken skewers over high heat. You’ll typically have to grill them in two heats for about 5 minutes per side.
How do you know when chicken skewers are done?
You’ll know the chicken skewers are done when the internal temperature has reached 165°F and the outside is golden brown. As a general rule of thumb, they take about 5 minutes per side.
What temperature do you cook chicken skewers at?
You’ll want to grill the chicken skewers at around 400°F for 5 minutes per side. If you’re not using an electric grill, cook them over medium-high heat.
More Skewer Recipes to Try
- Grilled Chicken Kebabs – Classic chicken skewers in a creamy marinade
- Pork Kabobs (Shashlik) – Slavic-style pork skewers
- The Best Grilled Lamb Kabobs – Savory lamb and veggie skewers
- Amazing Shish Kabob Recipe (with Beef) – Classic beef kabobs with steak seasoning
- Oven Baked Chicken Kabobs – No need to fire up the grill, these are tangy and so juicy
- 3 lb chicken breast
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp lime
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp ginger freshly ground
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- Cut the chicken breast into 2-inch pieces.
- In to the chicken, add the ranch, honey, soy sauce, pressed garlic, ginger and lime juice into the bowl and stir to combine. Allow the chicken to marinate for a 2-3 hours.
- Thread the chicken onto your skewers, leaving enough space at the bottom for holding and flipping.
- Place the skewers on the grill grates and grill them for 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Enjoy immediately!
I made these to grill and everyone loved the flavor, so good!!!
Hi Mariya, I love that you are still grilling. I am so happy that you and everyone loved this recipe. Thanks for sharing.
AMAZING!!! my whole family loved these!
Thank you so much, Sara! I love when the whole fam approves!
Sounds delicious! When I make this is it ok to use. ground powdered ginger instead of fresh and if so, how much? Thank you.
Hi CK- I haven't tried using ground ginger in this particular recipe, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Ground ginger is a lot more concentrated, so I would add 1/4 tsp or maybe 1/2 tsp at most. Hope this helps!
The ingredient’s list doesn’t list garlic but it is in the instructions. How much garlic?
Hi Sandy- the garlic is optional, thank you for catching that. We will update the recipe. 🙂
If you add veggies in between the chicken, are you marinating the veggies too?
Hi Leisa- you can add onion or bell pepper to marinade and it should be fine, but soft vegetables or ones with more liquid like mushroom or zucchini should probably be left out of the marinade and just added to the skewers before grilling. Hope this helps!
What is ranch dressing ?
Hey William, here is a link: https://momsdish.com/recipe/4…. You will be hooked!
We will be grilling these all summer!! Love the flavor! They will be a hit at any summer get together!
Kristyn, Yes, they are a hit around here during grilling season. Enjoy
These were incredibly delicious! Everyone loved them!!
So happy to hear this! Thanks for taking the time to leave the review!
These were so tender and juicy! Cooked to perfection. Thank you!
Diane, I am so happy to hear this! It can be hard to make chicken breast juicy but we nailed it with this one. Glad you got to try it!
Is it ok to marinate in all of the ingredients for couple days and not just ranch alone? Or honey/soy sauce etc can only be for couple hours??
how did it turn out?
You can marinade all ingredients together for couple days. It will absorb all the flavors
How much garlic do you put it?? And would this work with chicken thighs??
Yes it will work with chicken thighs. I added three garlic cloves.
Great recipe! this chicken turned out wonderful! Thnaks
Oh so Awesome Inna!!!I can not wait till summer to start grilling more 🙂
heu can I fry it in pan?
I haven't tried frying them but you can try this method, from another recipe. http://momsdish.com/r405
Hey there love your recipes! Question how many days is several days to marinate? Also, would this recipe be good if I cooked the chicken on the stove top not on the grill? Thanks!
Usually I marinade for at least 24 hours. You can bake them in the oven, this recipe has the tips on baking kebabs in the oven. http://momsdish.com/r405
Hello can you tell me if you are using any salt? Or seasoning salt for this recipe? Thank you!
Soy sauce adds savory flavor to the chicken.
For Step#1, do you mean to marinate the chicken in ranch for several days? You say to cut up the chicken into 2-inch pieces and let it marinate for several days.... Thanks.
Yes, marinate with ranch. That is what would make them moist.
Thanks so much.
looks good! have been on a grill kick!!! will definitely try this recipe! looks really easy and i have everything in hand.......Senk-u!
Hey Angie! Ur-welcome! 😉 hope you love it!
by the way on #1 you said you let it marinate to several days?
Yes, it would make the chicken extra moist but you don't have to marinade for that long.