I adopted this recipe from my sister. She graduated from school with straight A’s and wanted to get into nursing program in Ukraine, but there was no chance because she was Christian. So as back up career she went to college to be a chef. I am glad things turned out for her that way, she didn’t like nursing anyway. Now I can go to her for cooking tips.
If you told me few years ago that I will be canning pickles I would have said, you are totally out of your mind. Well not this year, after trying my sisters pickles at camp and I finished every bit out of jar. Usually I don’t care for pickles but those were really good. This is very unusual recipe but honestly it is the best I tried.
*I purchased ketchup from Russian store, but I have seen spicy ketchup at regular grocery stores. I would suggest picking one that you like the most because that would be main role of flavor in pickles.
Share Some Love ❤️
- 1 1/2 qt Water
- 300 g Vinegar
- 170 g Sugar
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 260 g Chili Ketchup
- Dill Sticks , enough to cover bottom of the jars
- Combine together in a pot water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring it to boil. Turn it off, mix in ketchup and set aside.
- To sterilize jars, preheat oven to 215F. Wash jars and lids, place them in oven for about 15 minutes or until completely dry.
- Wash cucumbers in cold water, cut of both ends of cucumber. You may need to cut some cucumber into smaller pieces to fill in empty spaces in a jars.
- Cover bottoms of jars with dill, fill them up tight with cucumbers.
- Pour in marinate all the way to the top. Cover with lid, but not tight.
- Preheat oven to 250F. Place jars in oven and let them sit there for about 20 minutes, it all depends on size of the jars and cucumbers. Once cucumbers change color, remove them from oven. It is very important not to overcook cucumbers so they still stay crispy, so be sure to remove them from oven when they change in color.
- Close all lids really tight and put all jars upside down. Cover with towel and let them sit there for 4-5 hours. Cucumbers will cook little more in hot water.
- Store in cool place, they can be stored for up to a year