After purchasing canned seeds, I was very turned off by the ingredients. About then, I bumped into a recipe at Lea’s Cooking and was glad to make creamy homemade poppy seeds.
Other Recipes to Try Poppy Seeds With:
Share Some Love ❤️
Poppy seeds make a perfect filling for many baked pastries such as Rogaliki, Quick Poppy Seed Rolls and many others.
- Grind the poppy seeds in a mill or coffee grinder.
- Combine the milk, margarine, and sugar into a saucepan. Cook on low heat, stirring often, until the sugar dissolves.
- Slowly whisk in eggs into the cooking mixture, continue stirring to prevent eggs from crumbling. Continue to cook and stir until the mixture begins to thicken; it should be similar to the condensed milk in texture.
- Add the poppy seeds and stir well to blend. Remove from heat; cool before using.
- Store unused filling in the refrigerator for up to a week.