These vegetarian cabbage rolls are perfect for Meatless Monday. Stuffed with tender rice and sauteed veggies, they’re both healthy & hearty!
I don’t make cabbage rolls often, as they seem to be costing too much work, like boiling a huge cabbage head in a pot of water. But this is a very exciting tip that I learned recently. The trick is to freeze the cabbage head in advance and defrost it right before you plan to make the cabbage rolls; making it perfectly soft to make the rolls. I would suggest freezing the cabbage at least for a week.
Traditionally rolls are made with rice and meat, just like I made it in Traditional Cabbage Rolls. This version is a little different, because it has a bit of a sweet flavor from the carrots and onions. I really like the turn out and plan to keep it as part of our family recipes.
Other Similar Recipes to Try:
Share Some Love ❤️
- 1 large Green Cabbage
- 6 cup Cooked White Rice
- 4 Large Onions thinly diced
- 5 large Carrots grated
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper (or other seasoning) to taste
- In a large skillet, saute the carrot and onions in olive oil until golden brown. Set aside 1/4 of the veggies for topping your cabbage rolls.
- Combine the rest of the sauteed veggies with the cooked rice and set aside.
- Remove the leaves from the defrosted cabbage head.
- Cut out the tough core from each cabbage leaf.
- Place the cabbage leaf in your hand and add a spoonful of the filling.
- Fold over one side of the cabbage leaf, securing the filling inside and creating somewhat of a cone shape.
- Push the loose leaves inside the roll. Repeat until you run out of ingredients.
- Assemble the cabbage rolls next to one another in a baking dish. Cover them with the remaining sauteed veggies.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-45 minutes. Enjoy!