Our whole family loves Cabbage Rolls, but due to the busy life schedules, I don’t get to prepare them that often. I’ve tried to form a lazy cabbage rolls recipe in my early years of cooking, but it didn’t come close to our expectations. This time, however, it was a different story.
This recipe is a replica of the original taste but takes so much less time to prepare. I love the fact that our boys devoured them with no problem, especially Ethan, who is four years old, asked for a refill. Every time our boys approve of a dish, it means that it’s a huge success, especially if the dish has a ton of veggies.
Other Cabbage Rolls Recipes
Share Some Love ❤️
- Dice the onions. In a skillet preheated with olive oil over medium, sauté them. Next, grate the carrots and add them into the skillet. Sauté the veggies until they soften. Set the veggies aside to cool at room temperature.
- Bring two cups of water to boil with a tablespoon of the Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base. Place the rice into the water and turn the heat to low. Allow the rice to boil until it's about 80% of the way done (it's still a little firm and white). Don't worry, it will finish cooking during the final bake.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice and veggies together. Add the ground chicken and stir to combine everything together.
- Using your hands, form a patty the size of your palm and place it into a preheated skillet with olive oil. Repeat until you have a skillet full of chicken patties. Fry both sides of the patties until golden brown. At this point, you can move on to the next step or freeze the patties in a ziplock bag for future use.
- Dice the onion and cabbage into small pieces. Cut the tomatoes into 1-inch cubes.
- On a preheated skillet with oil, sauté the onion until softened. Add the tomatoes into the cooking onions and cook on low heat until the mixture begins to form a sauce.
- Add the cabbage into the sauce and cook for about 5 minutes. Mix in the sour cream and season with salt. Set the sauce aside.
- Place the fried patties into the bottom of a baking dish. Pour the sauce on top of them.
- Bake it at 400°F for about 35 minutes. Serve the patties warm with a ladle of sauce on top and a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!