Shurpa is a hearty soup, it’s filling and healthy. It reminds me of chili or beef stew; the flavors are right on and the combination of ingredients feel light on the stomach. The best part is that it reheats very well, so you can have it lasting for days.
For beef, you can pretty much use any cut. I would, however, recommend cuts with less fat, as they keep the soup on a lighter side.
Other Soups you will Love
Share Some Love ❤️
- Prepare all ingredients for the recipe.
- Preheat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onions until they're golden brown.
- Slice the lamb or beef into 1-inch cubes. Next, brown the cubes on all sides until golden brown. Season generously with paprika, pepper, and salt.
- Add in 5 quarts of water and let the mixture simmer for 60 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Allow the soup to simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, pressed garlic, and fresh herbs. Allow the soup to simmer until the potatoes are fully cooked and easily pierced with a fork (about 15-20 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt if necessary. Enjoy!