Air Fryer Kale Chips are a healthy (and delicious) alternative to potato chips. All you need to make them is 3 ingredients – fresh kale, sea salt and oil.
Air Fryer Kale Chips come together with just three, simple ingredients — fresh kale, sea salt, and avocado or olive oil. What’s even better? They have a fraction of the fat of regular potato chips and are an easy (and fun!) way to get a serving of veggies.
Air Fryer Kale Chips Video
How to Make Air Fryer Kale Chips
Making air fryer kale chips is as easy as popping open a bag of chips. Okay, not completely, but seriously…these chips are a no-brainer to make. Follow the steps below to be well on your way to crispy and crunchy goodness:
- Chop and clean kale. Toss it together with salt and oil.
- Pop kale in air fryer basket.
- Air fry kale chips at 375°F for about 4 minutes, toss them midway through air frying.
- Season to taste and serve!
Seasoning Ideas For Kale Chips
Love to have it your way? Good. Feel free to get creative and season your Air Fryer Kale Chips however you like. Whether you are trying to replicate your favorite potato chip or are simply experimenting with new flavor combinations, mix it up how you see fit. Find a couple of our favorite seasoning variations below:
- Ranch – Use any of you favorite dry ranch mixes for a super flavorful chip. Hidden Valley is a great option.
- Taco Seasoning – Combine equal parts of taco seasoning and nutritional yeast for a cheesy and spicy kale chip.
- Salt and Pepper – Classic salt and pepper never let anyone down. Add more or less pepper depending on how spicy you like to go.
- Garlic and Onion – Season to taste with garlic and onion powder and sea salt.
- Hot & Spicy – Season your kale chips with your favorite hot sauce. Use Crystal if you like it a bit vinegary or Sriracha if you want an Asian twist.
- BBQ – Grab your favorite meat rub or BBQ sauce and toss to coat. This kale chip is perfect alongside a burger or cold cut sandwich.
- Sour Cream and Onion – You can find dried sour cream powder in the spice aisle.
- Honey Mustard – Toss your kale chips in your favorite honey mustard add a dash of pepper. These are the perfect balance of sweet and salty.
Are kale chips still healthy?
Kale chips are super healthy for you, especially when made in the air fryer with minimal oil. Go forth and eat the whole “bag”!
How long will kale chips stay crispy?
Typically, kale chips will only stay crispy for 2-3 days. If yours start to fall a little flat, pop them back into the air fryer for a couple minutes to make them crispy again.
What is the best seasoning for kale chips?
There’s no such thing! Season your kale chips to your very own taste.
How should I store my kale chips?
Pop your kale chips in a plastic storage bag or airtight container to keep them as fresh as possible.
Other Air Fryer Recipes
Whether you are new to the air fryer or already a die-hard fan, there are so many different recipes to try and explore. Here are a couple of Momsdish favorites:
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings – This recipe will have you saying, “Wing Stop, who?”
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts – Get perfectly crispy brussels sprouts each and every time.
- Air Fryer Cod – A healthier fish to your chip. Don’t forget to whip up some homemade tartar sauce.
- Air Fryer Potato Chips – Potato chips with minimal guilt. What else is there to say?
- Air Fryer Salmon – Crispy on the outside and so moist on the inside.
- Rinse kale under cool water. Place kale on a stack of paper towels to dry and pat off any excess liquid. Chop kale leaves into bite-sized pieces. Toss with seasoning and oil.
- Place seasoned kale in an air fryer basket.
- Air fry kale chips at 375°F for about 4 minutes, toss them midway through air frying. Since kale is quite delicate, pay special attention that you don't burn the leaves in the last couple minutes of air frying.
- Sprinkle with any additional seasoning to taste. Serve right away!
I hate kale, but I love this recipe! Used the instant pot air fryer attachment and made garlic and onion kale chips. I made the mistake of drizzling the oil then the salt right after so some are salty and others are fine. Next time I'll toss the kale after drizzling the olive oil to ensure even distribution before adding the seasoning.
Hi Kira, That is such a great point! Thank you for your feedback. I am so glad that this recipe was a success. Enjoy it!!
So great! My air fryer doesn't have an option for 375 degrees (only does in 10 degree increments) so I preheated 370 and I only had to cook for 2 minutes total for perfection for my hubby and myself. We did add a tiny sprinkling of garlic powder along with the salt and oil. YUM!
Hi Emily, that sounds like the kale chips turned out so tasty! Thank you for sharing your feedback. Enjoy!!
Natalya -- I just bought an air fryer and found your article on google. I'm going to make these. #AvvoBuddies
Hi Khalid, I am so thrilled that you found this recipe! You are going to LOVE your air-fryer!
My oven (Samsung) said no need to preheat oven, I found this to Not be true. It took a lot longer to do chips.
Hi Patti- ah, I'm sorry it took a lot longer! Hopefully next time they will be quicker to make with a pre-heated air fryer. I am curious, how long did they end up cooking for?
My boys (2yo and 4yo) are just BONKERS for these chips! I love your flavoring suggestions, too! The ranch variety is requested often!
I'm so glad your kids enjoy them and that you find the suggestions helpful, thank you for taking the time to comment!
These are so good! They turn out perfectly in the air fryer every time and are such a good snack to have on hand!
I'm so glad you enjoyed them, Jennifer, thank you for your feedback!
Crisp, healthy, & so tasty!! I love snacking on these & the air fryer makes it so easy to make!
I'm so glad you enjoyed them!!
So unexpectedly delightful! Love this healthy alternative to traditional potato chips! Yum!
I'm so glad you enjoyed the chips, thank you for taking the time to comment!