Want to learn how to make baked tortilla chips in the comfort of your own home? They have a fraction of the fat of fried chips and are just as crunchy!
Have an air fryer? You can make super healthy tortilla chips in the air fryer too! Check out the air fryer tortilla chips.
This quick and easy homemade baked tortilla chips recipe will have you wondering why you leaned so heavily on store-bought versions. I love making them because they don’t require any messy deep-frying and are made in a fraction of the cooking time that it takes to fry individual batches. Less time and less fat – what’s not to love?
Whether you have kids that could eat an entire bag of chips in a day or are just looking to cut down on your dependency on packaged fried chips, this recipe requires minimal ingredients and even less prep. Double or triple the recipe and keep a stockpile in your pantry for a rainy day.
How to Make Baked Tortilla Chips
Making these chips only requires 3 simple ingredients and super minimal prep. Below, find a quick hitter rundown of the recipe before you get to it.
- Oil the Tortillas: Using a pastry brush or your hand, coat each side of the tortillas with a little bit of olive oil.
- Slice the Tortillas: Using a sharp knife, slice the brushed tortillas into even-sized triangles.
- Bake the Tortillas: On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, assemble the tortilla triangles in a single layer. Next, sprinkle them with a bit of salt. Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake the chips for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow the Chips to Cool: Remove the chips from the oven and allow them to cool completely or partially at room temperature. Serve and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
Here you’ll find a handful of tips and tricks to help you make the best baked tortilla chips on the planet.
- Brush the tortilla triangles on both sides with olive oil. Oil will help to keep the tortillas hydrated as they bake in the oven. It will also help to give the illusion that they’re fried!
- Cut the tortilla triangles into evenly-sized pieces. The more even the tortilla triangles are cut, the more evenly they will bake. To make even cuts, slice the tortilla rounds like you would a pizza and create about 6 even pieces.
- Lay the chips in a single layer. The key to crispy, oven-baked chips is to not crowd or stack them in the oven but to assemble them in a single layer. The more space you give them, the crispier they’ll get!
- Toss the chips in a little lime juice and chili powder. If you want a pop of tang and spice, toss the chips in a bit of lime juice and chili powder immediately after you take them out of the oven.
Serving Baked Tortilla Chips
Serve tortilla chips with your favorite dip. Black bean and corn salsa, avocado hummus, guacamole, and canned salmon dip are always great options. If you’re looking to make a more well-rounded meal, use your chips to make sheet pan chili and cheese nachos, Mexican-style nachos, or even breakfast chilaquiles.
Storing Baked Tortilla Chips
These tortilla chips store wonderfully and are great for batch cooking. To keep your chips fresh longer, store them in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag. When stored properly, they will last anywhere from one to two weeks. Double or triple the batch and have them on hand for whenever a craving hits!
Are baked tortilla chips better for you?
Baked tortilla chips are much better for you than fried. They use a fraction of the oil required for fried and there’s no need to fuss around with splattering oil.
How do you harden baked tortilla chips?
If you need to harden your tortilla chips a little more, simply leave them in the oven for a couple of more minutes. You can also leave them uncovered at room temperature.
Can you reheat baked tortilla chips?
There are several different ways you can reheat baked tortilla chips. Zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds, pop them in the oven for a couple of minutes, or place them in the air fryer in a single layer.
Can you make baked tortilla chips with flour tortillas?
Yes, you can make baked tortilla chips with flour tortillas. They will have a bit of a chewier texture. Alternatively, you can also use corn, wheat, or any other flavored tortilla.
How long do baked tortilla chips last?
Baked tortilla chips will last anywhere from one to two weeks when stored in an airtight container or sealable bag at room temperature.
Other Healthy Chips
- Air Fryer Potato Chips – No-guilt potato chips
- Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini Chips – Cheesy veggie chips
- Kale Chips in the Air Fryer – 3-ingredient kale chips
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips (No Breading) – 100% veggie chips
Share Some Love ❤️
- 10 tortillas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Brush each side of the tortillas with olive oil.
- Using a sharp knife, cut them into chip-sized pieces.
- Lay out the chips on baking sheets lined with parchment paper in a single layer. Sprinkle the chips with salt.
- Bake at 375°F for 5-10 minutes. Remove the chips from the oven and allow them to cool at room temperature for a couple of minutes. Enjoy alongside your favorite dip!