These hummus eggplant canapés feature baguette smeared with garlicky hummus & a tangy eggplant spread. The perfect vegetarian appetizer!
Looking for a tasty appetizer to serve at your next soiree? Even if you aren’t planning a party, these tasty vegetarian canapés are great for everything from a movie night snack to a light lunch. There’s nothing like the simple combination of smooth, creamy hummus and savory, spiced eggplant…
Note: You’ll need to whip up a batch of our eggplant ikra dip for this recipe. If you’re short on time, swap it out for your favorite store bought baba ganoush.
What Exactly is a Canapé?
A canapé is a kind of hors d’oeuvre that features slices of baguette, puff pastry, crackers, or another carb topped with a variety of meats, cheese, veggies, and other goodies. The common thread between all canapés is they’re finger food that can be eaten in one big bite. For a party, you can assemble several different kinds on a platter to give your guests the ultimate “grazing” experience.
Putting Together These Easy Hummus Eggplant Canapés
After you whip up some fresh ikra, all you have to do is a little bit of light assembly to pull these canapés together.
- Prepare the Baguette: First, cut the baguette into slices.
- Assemble the Canapés: Next apply a spoonful of hummus, followed by a dollop of ikra.
- Garnish the Canapés: Finally, top the canapés with fresh herbs and enjoy!
Different Variations to Experiment With
Make these tasty canapés your own by playing with different ingredients and flavors. Below, find a couple ideas to inspire you…
- Cheese: Add on a sprinkle of feta cheese or goat cheese.
- Bread: Swap out the baguette for small slices of pita bread. You can also use mini flatbreads!
- Spices: Spruce up the hummus with freshly cracked black pepper or red pepper flakes for a subtle kick.
- Herbs: Garnish your canapés with your favorite herbs. Thyme, parsley, basil, oregano, or cilantro are all great options.
Ways to Serve your Hummus Eggplant Canapés
These canapés can be served as part of a full blown Mediterranean feast alongside leg of lamb, crispy smashed potatoes, olives, cucumber tzatziki, and crispy chickpea falafel. You can also serve them on a tray with other canapés for more variety. Find a couple of our favorites picks here
- Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches (Canapés)
- Crab Mushroom Canapés
- Egg & Sprats Canapés (Easy Appetizer)
- Chicken Bacon Canapés
- Easy Tea Sandwiches
Storage Best Practices
For best results, only assemble the canapés an hour in advance. To keep them fresh, keep them covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated until just before you plan to serve them. If you want to work further ahead, the ikra can be prepared 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
What are the main ingredients in hummus?
Typically, hummus is made by blending sea salt, tahini, garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice, pine nuts, and a little olive oil in a food processor. If you want to make it homemade, check out this recipe for 15-minute avocado hummus.
Is this recipe vegan?
This recipe is vegan naturally! Ikra only contains vegetables (zucchini, carrots, eggplant, tomatoes, and onions) and hummus is typically always free of animal products.
What are aubergines?
“Aubergines” is the European name for eggplant. Same vegetable all together!
Other Tasty Finger Foods to Try
- 5 Minute Margherita Flatbread Pizza – Mini pizzas
- Easy Crab Puffs Recipe (Crab Ragoon) – Cream cheese and crab fried dumplings
- Grape Jelly Meatballs (5-minute Appetizer) – Sweet & salty meatballs
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings – Tangy, no-guilt chicken wings
- 1 baguette
- 2 cups hummus
- 3 cups Eggplant Ikra Spread
- Fresh Herbs for garnish