These chicken bacon canapés are creamy, savory, and so satisfying. Make them for your next dinner party and watch them fly off the platter!
There are few things in this world that I love more than a slice of chicken bacon ranch pizza. It’s my definition of perfection. When I don’t want to fuss around with making pizza dough or shelling out money for delivery, this recipe for chicken bacon canapés is the answer to satisfying my craving. What’s better? These little chicken bites are perfect for everything from family movie nights to fancy dinner party appetizers.
So, What Exactly is a Canapé?
A canapé is a type of hors d’oeuvre that consists of bread, crackers, or some other carb that’s topped with a variety of protein, cheese, and veggies. They can be served hot or cold and make for great appetizer trays.
Assembling These Chicken Bacon Canapés
To begin, grab a serrated bread knife and slice the baguette into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Prepare the Ingredients: Next, dice the green onions and cut the slices of bacon into thin strips. Drain the juices from the canned chicken breast and break apart the larger chicken pieces with a fork. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients with the shredded Mexican cheese.
- Assemble the Canapés: Assemble the baguette slices on a baking sheet. Next, spoon a generous amount of the mixture on each slice.
- Broil the Canapés: Broil the canapés on low until golden brown and bubbly. Sprinkle the canapés with a garnish of green onions if you’d like and enjoy!
Different Ways to Cook Bacon
Instead of busting out the frying pan, whip up the bacon for this recipe with either of the two methods listed below. Bye, bye splattering oil!
- Baked Bacon – All you need is a cookie sheet and some parchment paper or foil to bake bacon in the oven
- Air Fryer Bacon – Place bacon in a single layer in the air fryer tray and cook until crispy
Hot Tip: Blot the bacon of excess oil using a paper towel before adding it to the topping to prevent the canapés from turning out too greasy.
3 Pro Tips for the Best Canapés
Despite how fancy they look, these mini sandwiches are so simple to put together. With a couple of pro tips, you’ll be well on your way to finger food glory.
- Don’t overdo it with the topping. Avoid topping the baguette slices with too much topping, or it will ooze off the sides in the oven and create a mess.
- Make sure the chicken is drained of all liquid. If you don’t drain the canned chicken of all it’s juices, the canapés will turn out soggy.
- Cook them on a low broil. To prevent the canapés from burning, cook them on a low broil versus a high broil.
Feeling ambitious? Whip up a homemade baguette to elevate the flavor of your canapés that much more.
Tweaking these Canapés
Make these chicken bites your own by playing around with a couple of tasty variations.
- Stir in 4 ounces of softened cream cheese or mayonnaise to the topping for extra creaminess
- Add depth of flavor with a couple tablespoons of worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- Make them spicy by adding a bit of your favorite hot sauce to the topping or a couple of dashes of cayenne pepper
- Swap the pieces of bacon out for prosciutto or Canadian bacon
Air Fryer Hack: Want to whip up the canapés with record speed? Pop them into an air fryer if you have one.
Ideas for Serving Canapés
The best way to serve canapés is alongside other canapés! Bust out your favorite serving platter and make 2-3 different kinds so your guests can grab a couple of different bites before digging into the main course.
- Egg and Sprats Canapés (Easy Appetizer)
- Hummus Eggplant Canapés
- Crab Mushroom Canapés
- Mushroom Bell Pepper Canapés
Making Chicken Bacon Canapés Ahead of Time
If you want to make the canapés ahead of time, whip up the topping and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you’re ready, spoon the topping on the baguettes and broil them as directed.
Note: These canapés are best eaten fresh out of the oven. Only assemble them right before you plan to serve them!
More Tasty Finger Foods
- Easy Crab Puffs Recipe (Crab Ragoons) – Crab and cream cheese bites
- Pigs in a Blanket – Quick! (Only 4 Ingredients) – Mini sausages in puff pastry
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings – No-guilt, tangy chicken wings
- Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini Chips – Healthy zucchini chips (great with light ranch dressing!)
- 10 ooz canned chicken breast drain and break apart
- 8 oz fully cooked bacon diced into small pieces
- 1/2 baguette sliced
- 2 cup Mexican cheese
- 4 green onions diced
- 1/4 cup ranch
- Slice baguette into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and combine them with a spoon or fork.
- Assemble the baguette slices on a baking sheet and top each one with a spoonful of filling.
- Broil on low for 10 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and bubbly. Sprinkle with green onion for garnish and enjoy!