Last year one of my Instagram friends shared this canned tomato salad recipe with me. It was too late into the season and my mom’s garden didn’t have any tomatoes to spare. As a child I, remember eating green tomatoes, preserved, they were one of my favorite things. I don’t care so much for canned red tomatoes, but the green ones are so delicious.
I like having canned salads on hand for busy days or when we are doing last minute hosting. Adding some mashed potatoes, protein and canned salad, will have the dinner covered. I can see this as a great addition to a Thanksgiving menu.
These recipes make about 5 quarts of salad. I am thinking to make another double batch before the tomato season ends.
Other Canned Tomato Recipes
Share Some Love ❤️
- 6 lb Green Tomatoes
- 2 lb Red Bell Peppers
- 2 lb Carrots
- 2 lb Yellow Onions
- 1 cup Light Olive Oil
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup White Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Whole Black Peppers
- Clean vegetables to prepare for all the dicing.
- Cut onions, tomatoes, bell peppers into one inch cubes. Shred carrots on a larger part of the grater.
- Prepare oil, vinegar, salt, sugar and whole black peppers.
- In a large pot, preheat oil and add onions to the oil. Let onions cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes or until they just soften.
- Add carrots to the cooking mixture and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers to the cooking mixture and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the cooking mixture. Into the mixture, add whole black peppers, salt, sugar and vinegar. Let them simmer for about 15 minutes.
- To sterilize jars, preheat oven to 215F. Wash jars and lids, place them in an oven for about 15 minutes or until completely dry. Fill jars with salad while it's still hot. Close all lids really tight and put all jars upside down. Cover with towel and let them sit there for 4-5 hours.
- Store canned salad in a cool place for several months. Let it sit for at least a couple of weeks, before opening; it gets better with time. But if you aren't patient like me, you can go ahead and eat some right away.