This chocolate Nutella banana cake features sour cream infused banana cake slathered with Nutella cake cream. You’ll go bananas for it!
I’m a chatterbox in nature, love people, and by now you’ve probably figured out that I love to host. I don’t typically bake cakes at home, but when the opportunity comes to host, it’s one of the first things on the list. Because of hosting, I’m able to keep up with your demands for the cake recipes!
This recipe is saturated with the goodness of chocolate and banana cake. “Rich” describes this cake well. The flavors of chocolate, Nutella and banana, make this cake one of the most flavor infused cakes I have tried in a while. It is easy to be satisfied after a small slice of this cake, although the intense flavors are hardly forgotten.
Other Banana Treats to Try
- Pull the butter out of the fridge and let it soften at room temperature. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a stand mixer, beat the softened butter, vanilla extract, and sugar until the texture is smooth.
- Beat the eggs into the butter mixture. Fold in half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- Fold the sour cream into the batter, followed by the rest of the flour mixture. Stir everything together until the texture is smooth.
- Mash the banana until it's smooth and stir it into the cake batter.
- Pour the cake into into an oiled 9-inch round pan. Bake it at 350°F for 30-40 minutes. To gauge doneness, stick a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's ready! Allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
- Slice the cake into three even layers.
- Gather the ingredients for the cake cream. Pull the butter out and let it sit at room temperature.
- Bring the heavy whipping cream to a boil. Pour the whipping cream over the chocolate chips and let the mixture sit for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to melt. Whisk until smooth and set it aside to cool at room temperature.
- Beat the butter and Nutella together. Stir in the chocolate mixture.
- Spread a generous amount of cake cream between the cake layers. Using the remainder of the cream, frost the outside of the cake.
- Decorate the cake as you wish. A little dusting of cocoa powder and chocolate chunks around the edges is our favorite!