Mushroom flatbread pizza is a great option for a weeknight dinner. The mushrooms and three-cheese combination is so full of flavor. You’re going to love it!
Love flatbread pizzas? Don’t forget to try our parmesan garlic flatbread and margherita flatbread pizza while you’re at it!
This mushroom flatbread pizza recipe with three kinds of cheese and sautéed mushrooms is my husband and I’s favorite grownup combo. While our kids aren’t the biggest fans of the herbed goat cheese and mushrooms, it’s so easy to whip them up a simple pepperoni and cheese flatbread at the same time. Hello, DIY flatbread pizza night!
Preparing Mushroom Flatbread Pizza
Preparing these mushroom flatbread pizzas requires only 8 ingredients and absolutely no need for any baking (unless you want to make homemade flatbread). Below, find a quick rundown of the recipe before you get started.
- Sauté the Mushrooms: In a pan over medium heat, sauté the mushrooms until golden brown and season them to taste with salt.
- Assemble the Flatbread Pizzas: Spread a thin layer of caesar dressing on top of each flatbread, followed by a few dollops of goat cheese and a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Bake the Flatbreads: Bake at 350°F for about 12 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown. Slice and enjoy!
Pizza Stone Hack: Want ultra-crispy flatbread crust? Bake the pizzas on a pizza stone in the oven. I’ve been using this one for a long time and absolutely adore it.
Pro Tips for The Perfect Flatbread Pizza
While making perfect flatbread pizza isn’t rocket science, here are a couple of pro tips to ensure you nail it on the first try.
- Swap out the flatbread for Indian-style naan bread. If you can’t get your hands on flatbread, naan bread will work just as well. It gets super crispy in the oven, yet still has a nice, bread-y bite!
- Don’t overload on the sauce. Since the flatbread is already baked it won’t absorb much of the sauce during baking. Therefore, there’s no need to add a ton. A thin layer will do!
- Sauté veggie toppings before baking. If you don’t want your veggies to be raw, sauté them in a bit of olive oil before topping the flatbread with them. Since you’re using a precooked crust, the cooking time is ultra- quick and the veggies won’t cook down significantly.
- Use several different types of cheese. Using more than one type of cheese adds so much depth of flavor to flatbread pizza. Mix and match different kinds and don’t be afraid to experiment!
Grill Hack: If you’re hosting a BBQ, pop the flatbread pizzas on the grill instead! This will add a nice smokey flavor to your pies.
Different Toppings for Flatbread Pizza
Half the fun of making flatbread pizza is playing around with different toppings and sauces. If you want to try some alternative flavor combinations, check out the suggestions below to keep you inspired.
- Cheeses: Feta, romano, gruyere, ricotta, and gouda
- Protein: Instant Pot shredded chicken, air fryer bacon, pepperoni, prosciutto, spicy Italian sausage, pancetta, and/or ham
- Veggies: Bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, arugula, asparagus, red onions, roasted garlic cloves, and/or artichokes
- Herbs: Fresh thyme, parsley, basil leaves, arugula, or chives
- Sauces: Light ranch dressing, BBQ sauce (great for BBQ chicken pizza!), pesto, marinara, or alfredo
Ways to Serve Mushroom Flatbread Pizzas
For a well-rounded meal, serve your mushroom flatbread alongside a classic garden salad or caesar salad. If you’re serving the flatbread for appetizers, cut them up into handheld pieces and assemble them on a tray alongside your favorite dipping sauces.
Hot Tip: For authentic Italian-style flatbread, finish the pizzas with a drizzle of olive oil right after they come out of the oven. Yum!
How to Freeze Flatbread Pizzas
Freezing flatbreads is a great way to keep quick meals on hand throughout the week. To do so, top the pizzas with all your favorite ingredients and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper uncooked. Pop the entire baking sheet in the freezer. Once completely frozen, wrap the flatbread pizzas tightly in plastic wrap and stow them away for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake, pop them in the oven according to the recipe instructions. Goodbye packaged frozen pizzas!
Can you use regular goat cheese?
Regular goat cheese is totally acceptable. There are also some sweet varieties of goat cheese out there that are infused with honey or berries if you’re in the mood for a sweet and salty flatbread.
What kind of mushrooms should you use?
Cremini mushrooms work great but use any mushrooms you like best. You could even use several different kinds to create a unique mushroom mixture.
Can you use anything else besides flatbread?
If you can’t get your hands on flatbread, use naan bread or premade pizza crust instead.
What’s a good alternative to the caesar dressing?
A good alternative to the caesar dressing is ranch dressing or alfredo.
Can you cook these flatbreads in an air fryer?
These flatbreads can definitely be prepared in the air fryer. Pop them in at 350°F for about 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown. You will likely have to cook them in batches depending on the size of your air fryer basket, so account for prep time accordingly.
Other Pizza Recipes to Try
- The Perfect Pizza – Classic pepperoni and cheese pizza
- Pizza Rolls Recipe – Handheld pizza bites
- Pizza Dough – Only pizza dough you’ll ever need!
- 4 flatbreads
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 5 oz garlic herb goat cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup caesar dressing
- salt to taste
- Gather all the ingredients for the flatbreads.
- In a skillet over medium-heat, sauté the mushrooms until golden brown. Season with a bit of salt.
- Top each flatbread with a smear of caesar dressing, following by the mushrooms and all three cheeses.
- Bake at 350°F for about 12 minutes or until the curst turns golden brown.
Very Awesome tip & points and Help full blog. Its really helps me.
Olivia, I'm so glad you find the website helpful, thank you for your feedback!
Absolutely delicious! I added spinach, kalamata olives, red onion, and a few pieces of turkey pepperoni, and it turned out AMAZING. Also, was the first time I have tried the garlic and herb Boursin cheese- I am hooked!
Sally, that sounds incredible. Thank you for sharing! I am stealing your toppings ideas for our next pizza night.
I love flatbread pizzas! It's such a quick alternative to pizza dough. Do you think regular goat cheese would work?
I used feta it was perfect
Yes, regular goat cheese would be great. We love the herbs in the cheese thats why I like using Boursin cheese for flatbread pizza.
Naan flatbread is my go to pizza base when I need to make pizza quickly. Why have I never thought of adding mushrooms?! My husband and kids love mushrooms. Definitely going to make your version next time!
Yes, the mushrooms add so much flavor to the flatbread pizza topping! 🙂 Sometimes we sneak in bacon as well!
Oh my goodness! Flatbread pizza is such a brilliant idea. Quick, tasty and everyone loves it! My favourite flatbread to use is naan bread. Yum!
Yes, naan bread is also our favorite to use for flatbread pizza!! 🙂 It has that chewy taste 🙂