This air fryer salmon recipe always yields flakey salmon that’s moist & full of flavor. In just 15 minutes, it will become one of your go-to weeknight dishes!
If you love salmon and have an air fryer, there’s no reason why you can’t have a perfect fillet several times a week. In this recipe, you’ll learn how to make moist, tender and flakey salmon fillets in the trending appliance with just 4 ingredients and around 10 minutes of cooking time.
Air Fryer Recommendation: Looking for an air fryer? We love our Cosori.
Making Perfect Air Fryer Salmon
Making tasty salmon in the air fryer is a no-brainer and only requires minimal prep work for maximum taste.
- Season the Salmon Fillets: First, season the salmon fillets with garlic parsley salt.
- Assemble the Fillets: Next, place the fillets in a single layer in the air fryer basket with the skin-side down.
- Top the Fillets: Place a bat of butter and a lemon slice on each piece of salmon.
- Air Fry the Salmon: Lastly, air fry the salmon at 400°F for 10-13 minutes. Enjoy!
5 Top Tips for the Perfect Salmon in an Air Fryer
While making air fryer salmon is as easy as setting it and forgetting it, there are a couple of handy tips to help you take your fillets to the next level.
- Season the fish generously. Salmon typically requires a little extra seasoning, so don’t be shy. Make sure the fillet is well-coated in the garlic parsley salt and you’ll be good to go.
- Top the salmon with butter to add moisture. To prevent the salmon from drying out in the high heat, top each fillet with a couple of butter slices.
- Use skin-on salmon if you can. Using salmon with the skin-on will help to keep all the juices inside the fish. It also protects the salmon from overcooking. If you’re not a fan of the skin, you can always easily remove it after removing it from the air fryer.
- Use a meat thermometer to gauge doneness. If you’re unsure if your salmon is fully cooked, use a meat thermometer to check if the internal temperature has reached 145°F. For the most accurate reading, make sure to stick the thermometer into the thickest part of the salmon fillet.
- Adjust the cooking time depending on the thickness of your fillet. Lower the cooking time if your fillets are thinner and increase it if they are on the thicker side.
Air Fryer Salmon Video Tutorial
This recipe is super versatile, so feel free to use any combination of seasonings you like best. If you need inspiration, find some tasty ideas here.
- Cajun-Style: Season the salmon fillets generously with Cajun seasoning for a sweet and spicy flavor profile.
- Honey Mustard: Whisk 1/4 cup of dijon mustard with 3 tablespoons of honey. Brush the tops of the salmon fillets with the mixture for a sweet and salty fillet.
- Slavic-Style: Season the salmon fillets with smoked paprika, black pepper, & garlic powder for an Eastern European twist. Once they come out of the air fryer, top them with fresh parsley or dill.
Hot Tip: Pat the salmon fillets with a paper towel before you season them to help the dry seasonings “stick” better.
Ideas for Serving
There are a million and one different way you can use your air fryer salmon. From quick fish sandos to easy weeknight meals, the possibilities are endless.
- Sandwiches: Sandwich the salmon between a brioche bun with tartar sauce, lettuce, onion, and tomato for a tasty fish sandwich. For a quick brunch, pop the salmon on a toasted bagel with cream cheese, red onions, capers, and tomato slices.
- Salad Toppers: For a quick and healthy lunch or dinner, use the salmon fillets as toppers for caesar salad, arugula caprese salad, or quinoa kale and avocado salad.
- Entree: Serve the salmon fillets as an entree alongside an air fryer baked potato, air fryer asparagus, or any other veggie you’re craving. You can also serve it alongside creamy cauliflower rice with chicken for a low-carb meal full of protein.
Storing & Reheating Best Practices
Salmon is prone to drying out and developing a tough crust in storage. To prevent this from happening, keep it in an airtight container (this will also prevent the fish from smelling up your fridge!). When stored properly, it will keep for up to 3 days.
Reheating Tip: To reheat the salmon, place it back in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes, or until warmed through. Make sure to top it with a little more butter and lemon to add moisture.
Can you air fry salmon from frozen?
No, you should not air fry frozen salmon fillets. For best results, allow the fish to thaw completely before popping it in the air fryer basket. This will help it cook more evenly and will also take significantly less time than trying to cook a filler from frozen.
How do you know when salmon is done?
You’ll know salmon is done when it easily flakes with a fork. Additionally, you can always check that the internal temperature has reached 145°F before digging in.
Can you air fry salmon without the skin on?
Yes, you can air fryer salmon without the skin on. However, the skin protects the fillet and helps it to retain moisture. If you can, always air fry salmon with the skin on.
Do you need to preheat the air fryer for air fryer salmon?
No, you do not need to preheat the air fryer before cooking salmon. Simply stick the fillets in the air fryer basket in a single layer, turn the temperature to 400°F and cook the fillets for around 10 minutes.
Do you need to flip salmon halfway through air frying it?
No, you do not need to flip salmon over halfway through air frying it. It’s perfectly fine to leave it alone and let the appliance work its magic.
Air Fryer Recipes To Try
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings – Tangy no-guilt chicken wings
- Korean Air Fryer Pork Ribs – Pork ribs in soy sauce, garlic, and brown sugar
- Crispy Air Fryer Cod – Flakey cod with lemon juice
- Air Fryer Steak Bites with Mushrooms – Tender steak bites
- 1 lb salmon fillet
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp garlic parsley salt adjust to taste.
- Gather all the ingredients for the recipe.
- Season the salmon fillets with garlic parsley salt.
- Place the fillets in the air fryer basket in a single layer, skin-side down. Top each fillet with butter and lemon slices.
- Air fry the salmon at 400°F for 10-13 minutes (this will depend on the thickness of your fillets) or until the internal temperature should reach 145°F.
Made this salmon today and it turned out sooo delicious! 🤤 Thank you for the recipe! ❤️
Hi Nataliya, I am so glad to hear that! Thank you for sharing your feedback. Enjoy!
This is simply wonderful! As my air fryer seems to be hotter at higher temperatures, I lower the temperature to 380 degrees.
Hi There! I am so glad that the recipe was a success. Thank you for sharing your feedback with me. Enjoy!
Can you put foil under the salmon in the air fryer so it doesnt drip all in the basket?
Hi, Danielle. Generally, using parchment paper or foil is fine in an air fryer, but foil is not recommended for recipes with highly acidic ingredients (like the lemon in this recipe) so that the foil doesn't start breaking down and get into your food.
Just made this and came out perfect! Thank you
Hi Inna - We LOVE this method. It seriously comes out so perfect. Glad you enjoyed it as well.
Just made this.. came out perfect! Thank you!
You're welcome, Terrie! Glad you enjoyed it.
I notice that you didn't preheat your air fryer while other similar recipes did. Is there a reason? Just curious
Hi Suzy- no particular reason really! It seems to work fine this way even without preheating, but you absolutely can preheat if you'd like. 🙂
I have a bunch of Salmon in my freezer. I am going to use this recipe, THANK YOU.
Oh have you noticed any difference between King or Coho salmon?
I have a new Ninja SP300
Hi Kerry, you can use whichever salmon you prefer just make sure it's evenly cut so it cooks at the same rate. Enjoy!
Did you preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees?
Nope - you just turn it on. No need to preheat! Hope this helps, Jean.
Natalya, just got my air fryer today. A small Cosori as I cook for one. This salmon dish was my first attempt. It was terrific!! If everything turns out as well as this - I'm going to love it. Will be visiting your site often.
P.S. Pork chops tomorrow night. Already checked out your video.
Hi Howard, welcome to the air fryer club, you will love it!! The recipes are always so easy and delicious. I am so glad you loved this salmon, What did you end up serving it with?
And please get back to me on how the pork chops go 🙂
Can the air fryer salmon be made in the oven
Hello Charles, here is the link to the oven-baked salmon: https://momsdish.com/recipe/6…
Does the salmon filet need to be defrosted or can you air fry it frozen?
I would thaw the salmon first, this way you achieve more of an even cooking.
We just had this for dinner tonight. The pats of butter really helped keep the meat juicy, and the skin DID stick to the bottom which was wonderful for serving! Yum
Alison, so great to hear. Glad you loved it!
Yummy!! Definitely will use this recipe more often. I loved the way the salmon came out so juicy!
Hi Anna, I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe. I love hearing that you will be using it again!
I tried this recipe the first night I got my Foodie Ninja Digital Fryer and although the taste was good, putting butter in for that length of time made the whole thing smoke and set off the fire alarms. Butter should be put in towards the end. I knew this but I always make a new recipe just as it says. Just a warning on the butter to smoke problem
Hey, this might be an issue with the type of air fryer you own. This is the only way we have always made the salmon. Works well in my air fryer. Thank you for sharing your feedback, it will help others.
What the name of the air fryer ?.
Currently, I am using Air Fryer Cosori, I love it.
Thank you Marisa, I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe.
Hi- did you use farm raised salmon or wild caught? I typically use wild caught.
Also, I have an air fryer, but it only goes to 390 degrees. Would I just cook it longer?
Hey Brooke, we try to use wild-caught, quality is much better. Yes, you may need to cook longer or just check readiness with a food thermometer.
I am not a big fan of Salmon, but I eat it because of its healthy. However this recipe has changed my opinion of Salmon. It was juicy and very taste. Thank you for sharing
Wow Michelle, I am so happy to hear this. Thank you for sharing!
Can you link your air fryer ?
Here is the air fryer we have. Link: http://assoc-redirect.amazon.…