These air fryer buffalo chicken wings are supremely juicy and crispy. No deep frying or splattering oil required!
If you’re a purist and want to keep it simple, try our simple crispy air fryer chicken wings!
Buffalo chicken wings in the air fryer are an absolute game-changer. Not only are they one of the most foolproof air fryer recipes, but they are also just as good as the deep-fried version. That’s a win-win in my book!
In addition, they only require a super tiny amount of cooking spray to turn insanely crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. For you health nuts out there, this means you get to enjoy wings with a fraction of the fat and zero-guilt. WHAT?!
Grab your favorite bottle of blue cheese dressing for dipping, slice up some carrot and celery sticks, and let’s get to it!
How to Make Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
Making buffalo chicken wings in an air fryer only requires a handful of simple ingredients and a few simple steps. The air fryer will do most of the work for you!
- Season the Wings: Season the chicken wings liberally with salt and pepper.
- Air Fryer the Chicken Wings: Next, coat the air fryer tray with a bit of cooking spray. Transfer the seasoned wings into the air fryer basket in a single layer (no stacking!). Turn the air fryer to 380°F and cook them for 10 minutes. Flip the wings over and air fry for 10 more minutes.
- Turn Up the Heat to Crisp: Increase the temperature to 400°F and cook the wings for 6 more minutes to give the skin a final crisp.
- Make the Buffalo Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients.
- Toss the Wings: In a large bowl, toss the chicken wings with the buffalo sauce until evenly coated. Enjoy!
Air Fryer Recommendation: Shopping around for an air fryer? I have been singing the praises of my COSORI Air Fryer Max XL. It has a huge basket (feeds four) and a ton of useful presets.
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
Below, find a collection of tips and tricks to help you make the best air fried buffalo chicken wings.
- Pat the wings down of any excess moisture. Before air frying your wings, blot them of any excess moisture with a paper towel. This will help them get ultra-crispy!
- Air fry the wings in a single layer. Although tempting, avoid stacking and crowding the wings in the air fryer basket. The more the hot air can circulate around them, the better!
- Flip the wings halfway through. To ensure all sides of the wings get enough hot air flip them halfway through the first round of cooking. Additionally, you can give the the basket a little shake here and there if you feel like your wings are crisping up as much as you’d like.
- Hit the wings with high heat at the end. Cranking up the heat to 400°F at the very end will give the skin the perfect crisp.
- Toss the wings immediately after air frying. Once you pull the wings out, transfer them to a mixing bowl and toss them in the buffalo sauce right away. This will warm the sauce up and ensure it sticks to the hot wings.
- Increase or decrease the cooking time depending on the size of the wings. Wings can come in all shapes and sizes so adjust the cooking time in either direction when necessary.
Serving Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
Serve air fryer buffalo chicken wings with a side of air fryer french fries or a homemade caesar salad. You already have the air fryer out, so you might as well use it! Also, don’t forget to slice up some carrot and celery sticks and whip up some light ranch dressing for dipping.
Storing Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Refrigerating: Store leftover air fryer buffalo chicken wings in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When stored properly, they should stay fresh for 3-5 days.
- Freezing: Freeze leftover air fryer buffalo chicken wings by placing them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Next, place the entire baking sheet in the freezer uncovered. Once the wings are fully frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
Reheating Tip: Air fryer buffalo chicken wings are best reheated in – you guessed it – the air fryer! Reheat them in 3-5 minute intervals at 380°F. In between each round, give them a good flip. This should return them to their crispy, “fresh-out-of-the-fryer” state.
Can you air fry wings with sauce on them?
You should not air fry wings with sauce on them. For the juiciest, most well-coated wings, always toss them in the dressing after air frying.
Should wings be thawed before air frying?
Yes, wings should ideally be thawed before air frying. Frozen wings don’t air fry quite as well as fresh. They also take a lot longer!
How long does it take to cook wings in an air fryer?
Air fry buffalo wings for 20 minutes at 380°F. Halfway through cooking time, flip them over. Next, turn the heat up to 400°F and cook the wings for 6 more minutes to crisp the skin up.
How long do you air fry frozen buffalo wings?
If you are using frozen buffalo wings, cook them for 30-35 minutes at 400°F. Every 8-10 minutes, shake the tray and flip them over.
Can I put foil in an air fryer?
You can put foil in an air fryer. However, it’s not always a smart idea. Foil can prevent the ultra-hot air from fully circulating, limiting the appliance’s ability to make the wings super crispy.
More of Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries (Extra Crispy) – No-guilt veggies fries
- Easy Air Fryer Baked Potatoes – Crispy and fluffy
- Air Fryer Steak Bites with Mushrooms – Tender, juicy steak bites
- Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets – Healthier than store-bought!
Share Some Love ❤️
- Season chicken wings with salt and pepper.
- Coat the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place chicken wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry them for 10 minutes at 380°F. Flip the wings over and air fry them for 10 more minutes. Turn up the heat to 400°F and cook the wings 6 more minutes.
- While the chicken is finishing cooking, whisk together the hot sauce, melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder.
- Remove chicken wings from the air fryer basket and place them into a large mixing bowl. Pour sauce over the top and toss to coat.
- Serve alongside your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!