During the winter months of Russia, braised potatoes become quite popular dish. The Russian name of the dish, “zharkoe”, translates into “hot”, giving a warm, cozy feel to the dish.
By braising potatoes with simmered meat, potatoes gain a wonderful aroma of flavors. And don’t forget pickles, braised potatoes are most commonly served with pickles or sometimes a fresh garden salad.
Other Potato Recipes to Try:
Share Some Love ❤️
- Preheat iron cast oven with oil. Cut meat into one inch cubes. Brown all sides of the meat.
- Dice onions, add to cooking meat. Also, slice carrots into strips, add to cooking meat. Season with salt and pepper, add bay leaves to the meat.
- In a separate dish, place tomato paste and two cups of warm water, whisk together to dissolve tomato paste. Add to the cooking meat.
- In a separate dish, place one tablespoon of chicken or beef bullion, add two cups of warm water and whisk to dissolve the seasoning. Add it to the cooking ingredients. Turn the heat to medium low, cover with a lid and let it simmer for about 60 minutes. Beef will turn very tender.
- Clean potatoes, cut them into small cubes. Add to cooking ingredients.
- Turn the heat to medium/high and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Using a fork, verify that potatoes are cooked through.