If you’ve ever shopped at an European market, you might have come across canned fish. It’s served as a side dish or spread, typically with rye bread. This is an easy recipe for preparing canned fish at your own home, haste free and you get to control the ingredients.
Your can use any fish you like for this recipe, including fish with small bones. Due to the long cooking time, bones are soft enough to be eaten. Tomato sauce flavor adds a beautiful sweetness to the fish, while vegetables add great freshness.
Other Fish Recipe to Try:
Share Some Love ❤️
- Clean and dice carrots into long strips.
- Dice bell peppers and onions into cubes. Mix to combine vegetables together. Place vegetables on the bottom of the slow cooker or a dutch oven.
- Into a small bowl, combine together flour, salt and sugar. Dip each fish piece into the flour and place it on the top of the the vegetables.
- Whisk together water, tomato sauce, ketchup and oil. Pour sauce over the fish, bake fish at 350F to bring sauce to a boil.
- Then turn the heat to 250F and bake for 4 hours. If you plan on using a crock pot, turn the fish on high to bring it to a boil, then turn to medium and cook for five hours.