Breakfast Burritos are one of my go-tos for meal planning. Make a large batch and have them on hand for those hectic weekday mornings.
Juicy and flavorful on the inside and crispy on the outside, these breakfast burritos are the perfect way to start the day. Could it get any better? Yes! Whip up a fresh batch of my guacamole to dunk your burrito in.
The breakfast burrito is a no-brainer if you’re a working (or stay-at-home!) mom. Mornings can get crazy and we all could use a shortcut once in awhile. My boys love burritos and I can rest assured that their bellies will be full until lunchtime!
Serving Breakfast Burritos
The great part about breakfast burritos is you can make them days or months in advance. To add a pop of freshness, serve your burrito with one (or both!) of the following:
- 5-Minute Garlic Avocado Spread – Not quite guacamole, but satisfying as heck and made in a fraction of the time.
- Mango Salsa – The salsa has a nice fruity kick to it and pairs perfectly with the bacon nestled inside your burrito.
Tips for Making Burritos
Never made a huge batch of your own burrito before? Don’t worry! Follow my tips below to make sure your burritos come out “taqueria-perfect”.
Season Your Scrambled Eggs
When pre-cooking your eggs, add a little somethin’, somethin’ to make them tastier! I like to add a touch of hot sauce (Cholula or Tapatio work great) or some seasoning salt (taco seasoning or your favorite spice blend).
Keeping Breakfast Burrito from Getting Soggy
Don’t add any salsa or sauce to the inside of your burritos to prevent them from becoming soggy. Only add fresh ingredients like salsa, tomatoes, avocado to the top of the burrito once it has been cooked!
Keeping Burritos Fresh
An important part of meal-prepping is properly storing your food so it stays as fresh as possible until you use it. Wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap or foil. Place wrapped burritos in a Ziploc bag. Refrigerate for up to a week.
How do you Roll a Breakfast Burrito?
Rolling a breakfast burrito is super easy. Here are the steps no matter how big or small your tortilla is:
- Place your filling in the center of the tortilla.
- Fold the end closest to you over the filling.
- Pull the tortilla back to secure the filling inside.
- Fold one side of the tortilla over, while holding the filling in place. Then, fold the other side over.
- With both ends folded, roll the tortilla until it forms the perfect burrito!
Freezing Breakfast Burritos
Frozen burritos are a lifesaver for me during the school year! Freeze burritos and prepare them in a pinch.
Freeze your burritos BEFORE you fry them. Wrap them tightly in foil or plastic wrap and store them together in a Ziploc bag. They will keep for up to 2-3 months.
Allow your burrito to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, fry them up according to the recipe.
- Ground Pork Sausage
Use ground pork sausage instead of bacon. You can find some great ground breakfast sausage that is already seasoned in the supermarket. If you can only find plain, season it with a bit of salt and pepper or a few dashes of your favorite seasoning blend.
Have leftover roasted potatoes taking up space in your refrigerator? Add them straight into your breakfast burrito! You could also cook up your favorite frozen variety. Like I said before, there’s nothing wrong with a shortcut!
- Vegetarian – Just as good as meat-filled burritos, vegetarian breakfast burritos are a great, lighter alternative. Saute bell peppers, onions and mushrooms and stuff them into your burrito instead of bacon or sausage!
Potatoes: Have leftover roasted potatoes taking up space in your refrigerator? Add them straight into your breakfast burrito! You could also cook up your favorite frozen variety. Like I said before, there’s nothing wrong with a shortcut!
Vegetarian: Just as good as meat-filled burritos, vegetarian breakfast burritos are a great, lighter alternative. Saute bell peppers, onions and mushrooms and stuff them into your burrito instead of bacon or sausage!
Other Breakfast Ideas
- Crepe Recipe
- Crustless Quiche
- Lazy Pierogi Recipe
- Easy Bacon Egg Bites
- English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lay out each slice of bacon on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Place the sheet covered with bacon into the oven, bake until golden and crispy. Lay out the cooked bacon on a paper towel to get rid of any extra grease.
- Whisk milk together with eggs and season with salt. Heat the pan up with oil, on a medium high heat, and pour in egg mixture.
- While the eggs are cooking, keep on stirring and breaking eggs into small pieces. Remove from heat once they're cooked.
- Slice mushrooms. In a hot skillet, fry them with a bit of oil until they turn golden brown. Season with a bit of salt.
- Build burritos by placing a little bit of each ingredient in the middle.
- Fold the sides of the tortilla inwards and roll the burrito tightly together.
- Fry the sides of each of the flour tortillas on a hot skillet, until the burrito becomes crispy and golden brown. Serve while the burritos are still warm.