Air Fryer Potato Skins are a healthy spin on Loaded Potatoes. They are packed full of cheddar cheese and topped with crispy bacon and green onions. Serve them as an appetizer or as dinner all on their own.
Don’t have an air fryer to call your own? That’s okay! You can still get your fix with our Baked Potato Skins.
Whether you are hosting a game night or just a dinner with friends, air fryer potato skins are always a hit. They are loaded with flavor and have half the fat of the fried version.
To make potato skins for this recipe, you need to bake whole potatoes and scoop out the flesh. To get more bang for your buck, you can make Air Fryer Baked Potatoes and save the skins for this recipe and use the flesh for Creamy Potato Soup.
How to Make Air Fryer Potato Skins
Air Fryer Potato Skins just need a little prep and TLC before you pop them in and let the magic happen. Follow the simple steps below to nail this recipe each and every time:
- Place potato skins in one single layer skin side down in the air fryer basket. Spray them with oil. Air fry for 5 minutes at 360°F.
- Add cheese into each potato skin.
- Top with bacon bits. Air fry for 5 more minutes or until they are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with green onions and add a dollop of sour cream if you like.
How do you cook frozen potato skins?
If you’re using frozen potato skins that you have stowed away for a rainy day, add 5-7 minutes extra to the cooking time.
Are potato skins good for you?
Yes! In fact, potato skins have more nutrients and fiber than the actual flesh itself.
Can you freeze potato skins?
Absolutely! Anytime you make mashed potatoes, keep a little flesh on the skins and place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Freeze in a single layer and transfer frozen skins into a freezer-safe plastic bag. You’ll thank yourself when a potato skins craving comes a callin’.
How do you reheat potato skins?
Reheat your potato skins by popping them back in the air fryer for a couple of minutes. This will help them get nice and crispy. Avoid microwaving them, as they can get soggy and mushy.
Serving Air Fryer Potato Skins
Cheese and bacon are great toppings, but you can serve your potato skins in so many different ways. Perfect Cast Iron Ribeyes or Cheeseburger Sliders make for the perfect meal. See below for a handful of topping variations…
- Easy Instant Pot Chili – This makes for the perfect stuffing. Top with cheese and have yourself a fun spin on classic chili cheese fries.
- Veggies/Herbs – Pop some Roasted Vegetable Salad into the potato skin and top with cheddar or goat cheese. Sprinkle with chopped basil or dill.
- Sauce – Sour cream, tzatziki sauce, or avocado spread add a nice pop or creamy coolness.
Making Air Fryer Potato Skins in Advance
When you’re making a full spread for a party, any early preparation you can do is crucial. These potato skins can be assembled ahead of time and stored in an airtight container until you are ready to pop them into an air fryer. Who doesn’t love being efficient?
More Air Fryer Recipes
Once you realize the wonders of air frying, it’s hard to stop. Check out some of our favorite recipes below to keep your newfound addiction satisfied…
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp – The sweet and salty coating on these shrimps is just too good.
- Air Fryer Potato Chips – Top with homemade beer cheese and bacon bits for the perfect game day snack.
- Air Fryer French Fries – Pair with a burger or smother in chili and cheese.
- Air Fryer Pork Chops – These juicy pork chops taste like they have been marinating for days.
- 10 potato skins
- 1 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 tbsp oil avocado or olive oil spray
- Place potato skins in one row in an air fryer basket. Spray them with oil. Air fry for 5 minutes at 360°F.
- Top each potato skin with a generous handful of cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle with bacon bits. Air fry for 5 more minutes or until they are golden brown and the cheese is gooey and melted.
- Top with green onions, sour cream and/or salsa.