Having a delicious Creamy Potato Soup Recipe is a must have for anyone who likes soup. With this potato soup recipe, everyone will be asking for seconds.
Silky, savory and simple, this creamy potato soup is one of my go-to recipes for hosting.
Got picky eaters coming over? Set out a bunch of different toppings and let your guests customize their bowl to their unique taste buds.
How To Thicken Up the Potato Soup
The answer is really simple – use a thickening agent. In this particular creamy potato soup recipe, I use flour (as noted below in the recipe). However, you can also use corn starch.
What To Serve With Potato Soup
Soups are served best with fresh salad and warm bread. Here are some of my favorite additions to the potato soup.
- Garden Salad – works best if you want that classic taste.
- Quinoa Kale Salad – adds that healthy crunch.
- Berry Spinach Salad – compliments with an array of sweet and sour taste.
- Focaccia Bread Recipe – adds that rich-flavored, filling bread.
- Garlic Knots Recipe – it’s like having pizza bread sticks. Kids love them.
How to Make Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
As this soup recipe contains a lot of small vegetable pieces, I prefer to begin by prepping all of the ingredients before I actually start cooking. Check the printable recipe below for full directions and measurements.
Once all ingredients are prepared, you will cook down the onions until caramelized to build flavor and add to a roux base of the soup. Once the roux is prepared, you will add remaining ingredients and cook as directed before serving. Best topped with shredded cheese, extra bacon, and sliced green onions.
Which Potato is Best for Soup?
There are a ton of different potatoes to choose from, but not all are created equal when it comes to making soup. Simply put, the higher the starch content of your potato, the thicker your soup will be. Here is a spud breakdown:
- Red Potatoes have a low-starch content. If you like a thinner potato soup, these are a great option.
- Yukon Gold are my personal favorite for this recipe. They are mildly starchy and have such a beautiful color.
- Russet Potatoes are the starchiest kind of spud. Be careful with these, as they will create an extremely thick soup.
Tip: Feel free to mix and match the potatoes you use. If you have several types hanging out on your counter, don’t be afraid to combine them. The different levels of starchiness in each one will likely balance out and create a great texture.
Can You Freeze the Creamy Potato Soup?
You know I am the queen of freezing food for later use, but I would advise against saving this soup for later. Potatoes tend to have a strange texture when they are defrosted. They become gummy and pasty. Simply put, this soup is best eaten fresh from the pot. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you must freeze the soup, the best way to do it is in an airtight container. Take the soup out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Heat it up in a saucepan when you are ready to chow down. If it’s too thick, add a touch of milk to thin it out.
Toppings for the Potato Soup
I love making a toppings bar and letting everyone get creative. Here are my must-have toppings for creamy potato soup:
- Bacon bits
- Shredded cheddar, pepper jack or colby jack
- Garlic croutons
- Chopped green onions
- Fresh dill
- Dollop of sour cream
- Lightly fried prosciutto or pancetta bits
- Parmesan crisps
More Soup Recipes You Might Like
- Easy Rice Noodle Soup Recipe
- Meat Dumpling Soup
- Russian Vegetable Soup
- Food Network Pea Soup
- Russian Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 4 cooked potatoes (pre-cook potatoes by boiling or baking them)
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cup whole milk
- 3 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp chicken Better Than Bouillon
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon crisps
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- To prepare all ingredients for the soup, dice onions into tiny pieces, dice baked potatoes and dice cooked bacon.
- Preheat a pot with butter, add onions into it and cook until it's caramelized. Stir in flour and mix until the flour is spread evenly.
- Pour milk & hot water into the cooking ingredients. When it starts simmering, add in diced potatoes and better than bullion. If necessary, season it with salt, but keep in mind that cheese and bacon have seasoning.
- Let the ingredients simmer until creamy, for about 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite toppings.
I usually just throw things in, love to sautee a few celery stalks along with the onion and also add a carrot or two or chopped red pepper for color. But yum, potato soup is one of the most delicious things ever! Must be the Belarussian in me 😉
I love the idea of adding other vegies. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Natasha for great recipe! Just made it, it's a very simple and good soup:)
Thanks Luba! I am happy you loved it, I want to make it next week. 🙂
How many slices of bacon is half a cup ?
Depending on the brand you use, it's about 3-4 slices.
My type of soup... will try
I really hope you love it! But tell me how you like it ?