This creamy, silky smooth whip will revolutionize your entire view of cottage cheese. It’s a luscious dip or spread, made even better with your favorite mix-ins.
Do you love creamy, cheesy dips? Try our whipped feta dip for more savory goodness.
What Is Whipped Cottage Cheese?
Whipped cottage cheese is cottage cheese that is blended until it reaches a smooth consistency. Whipping the cheese breaks down the curds and gives it an airy, light texture. This spread has a mild, salty taste with a slight tang. It is also a great source of protein and important nutrients like calcium.
How To Make Whipped Cottage Cheese
Can you believe it only takes five minutes to create this dreamy dip? Blend the cottage cheese with a pinch of salt until smooth and that’s it!
- Combine the ingredients: Place the cottage cheese and salt in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Blend the mixture: Turn the food processor or a blender on and whip until the mixture is smooth.
- Serve: Serve the whipped cottage cheese with your favorite mix-ins, and enjoy!
Dress up your dip with any of these flavor variations. Satisfy your sweet tooth, get fresh with herbs, or season it up!
- Sweet: Cottage cheese and honey are a match made in heaven. Drizzle in honey to your liking while blending the cottage cheese, and add vanilla extract and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a touch of sweet warmth. For a fruity twist, swirl in strawberry jam or raspberry jam.
- Herby: Fresh herbs like dill, parsley, or chives taste wonderful in the dip — blend them in for an herbaceous flavor.
- Seasoned: Mix in a packet of ranch seasoning or French onion seasoning for a savory dip. Make it your own with a mixture of flaky salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Tips From the Kitchen
Whipped cottage cheese is undoubtedly one of the easiest recipes you’ve ever tried. Here are a few tips to make the process even more foolproof.
- Use whole milk cottage cheese. Whole milk cottage cheese is ultra-creamy and makes the most delicious whip because of the extra flavor from fat.
- Add cream cheese for a creamier texture. Softened cream cheese is a delicious addition, adding more rich flavor and a smoother texture.
- Use a high-powered food processor or blender. High power is needed to break down the curds in the cottage cheese and create a smooth dip. We recommend this food processor, but a blender will also work.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Ensure your dip is smooth by scraping down the sides periodically while blending with a spatula.
Ways To Serve
Whipped cottage cheese is a delicious appetizer or snack. Serve it as a dip with crackers or your favorite fresh veggies. Alternatively, sweeten your day up by adding honey to the whip and dipping fresh fruit like strawberries and apples in it. The dip is also tasty as a spread — try it on pancakes, waffles, or a slice of homemade sourdough toast. It can even be used as a salad dressing! Simply add fresh dill, olive oil, and lemon juice to the whip, then drizzle it on quinoa kale avocado salad or arugula salad.
Storing Whipped Cottage Cheese
What does whipped cottage cheese taste like?
Whipped cottage cheese tastes just like regular cottage cheese — mild, tangy, and salty — but with a smoother texture.
What is the difference between whipped cottage cheese and ricotta?
The main difference between whipped cottage cheese and ricotta is the texture. Whipped cottage cheese has a smooth texture, while ricotta cheese is slightly grainier because it is made up of very small curds.
Is whipped cottage cheese the same as regular?
Whipped cottage cheese is just like regular cottage cheese, but with a creamier and lighter texture because the curds are processed and broken down.
Is whipped cottage cheese sold in stores?
Whipped cottage cheese is sold in most supermarkets, usually found in the refrigerated dairy section. But it’s so easy to make it yourself — you may never go back to store-bought!
More Cottage Cheese Recipes
- Cottage Cheese Pancakes — Fluffy cottage cheese pancakes with crispy edges
- Cottage Cheese Buns — Lightly sweetened buns with extra creaminess from cottage cheese
- The Best Filled Crepes — Classic crepes with a creamy, cheesy condensed milk filling
- Russian Vatrushka Buns — Enriched sweet buns filled with cottage cheese and raisins
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt adjust to taste