These zucchini pizza bites are topped with marinara sauce and cheese, then broiled to melty, bubbly perfection. It’s the same irresistible pizza flavor but half the calories!
What Are Zucchini Pizza Bites?
Zucchini pizza bites are baked miniature packages of marinara sauce and cheese that use zucchini as a base instead of dough. The zucchini lowers the calorie and carb count of these bites, making them a lighter and healthier alternative to regular pizza bites. They’re tender, flavorful, and sure to satisfy a craving for pizza.
How To Make Zucchini Pizza Bites
These zucchini pizza bites are crazy easy to prepare in a mere 20 minutes. They’re an absolute must-try!
- Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Slice the zucchini: Cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch thick slices using a sharp knife and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Add the toppings: Top each slice with sauce, cheese, and your favorite pizza toppings.
- Bake the bites: Bake for seven minutes, then broil for an additional three minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Enjoy!
Hot tip: There’s no need to peel the zucchini — the skin helps the pizza bites keep their shape. Plus, the skin is nutritious!
Choosing the Right Zucchini
Zucchini serves as the base for these pizza bites, so it’s important to choose the right zucchini. Look out for these signs to pick the best ones at the grocery store.
- Medium-sized: Medium zucchini have the best taste and enough space to fit toppings when sliced — six to eight inches is an ideal length. Large zucchini have big seeds and a soft center that doesn’t provide enough support for the toppings.
- Ripe: Perfectly ripe zucchini are firm with a deep green color. Avoid very large or soft zucchini, as these signs may indicate they are overripe and have a bitter taste.
- Thick: The zucchini should be at least two inches in diameter to ensure the pizza bites are not too small.
- Firm, bright skin: Healthy zucchini are brightly colored with shiny skin and a firm texture. Avoid zucchini with soft spots or bruises.
Are you exasperated trying to get your picky eaters to eat vegetables? These zucchini pizza bites are a phenomenal way to do it — especially when you make their favorite pizza variation!
- Pepperoni: Go classic with a topping of mini pepperoni or tiny cubes of regular pepperoni.
- Veggie: Add more nutrients with small pieces of broccoli, bell pepper, mushrooms and any other veggies you like.
- Margherita: Top the bites with diced tomatoes and fresh basil for an Italian flair.
- Meat lovers: Load up the protein with crumbled sausage, cooked bacon bits, and diced ham.
- Mushroom Alfredo: Swap the pizza sauce for our Alfredo sauce and add diced mushrooms for creamy indulgence.
Tips From the Kitchen
Pizza is supposed to be tasty, convenient, and customizable. Let’s go through a few tips to make sure your zucchini pizza bites check all the boxes.
- Use a good quality sauce. A delicious pizza sauce adds the right amount of flavor and seasoning. Look for one with minimal ingredients, or make our marinara sauce to guarantee tasty homemade quality.
- Shred the cheese yourself. Buy block cheese and use a grater to make your own shredded cheese that melts perfectly. Pre-shredded cheese often contains starches that inhibit melting.
- Salt the zucchini. A sprinkle of salt helps to draw water out of the zucchini, adding flavor and preventing a mushy base.
- Add seasonings. The sauce and cheese are already flavorful on their own, but add Italian seasoning or a sprinkle of oregano if you like an extra herby pop on your pizza bites.
Ways To Serve
Zucchini pizza bites are the perfect hand-held food to serve as an appetizer or pack for your kids’ lunches. Follow up with creamy Tuscan chicken pasta, a Caesar salad, and a fresh strawberry cobbler to create a balanced and full meal. Are you packing these zucchini bites for your little ones? Throw in homemade sourdough crackers and avocado hummus for an extra treat!
Storage & Reheating
Leftovers absolutely deserve a second chance. Here are a few pointers to help you savor these delicacies again later.
- Storage: To store for up to two days, place the leftover bites in an airtight container and refrigerate. Freezing is not recommended, because the zucchini may become mushy.
- Reheating: For the best texture, reheat your pizza bites in the oven at 350°F for five minutes, or until the cheese melts. For a quicker reheating option, pop them in the microwave.
Are zucchini pizza bites healthy?
Zucchini pizza bites are a healthier alternative to regular pizza and pizza bites. Further, they’re low-carb and a great source of vitamins, fiber, and other nutrients important for a healthy diet.
Why are my zucchini pizza bites bitter?
Zucchini pizza bites may taste bitter because the zucchini used were too large or overripe.
What temperature should you cook zucchini pizza bites at?
Zucchini pizza bites should be baked at 425°F for seven minutes, then broiled for three minutes. The high temperature and short cook time yield perfectly tender zucchini.
More Zucchini Recipes
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries — Crispy seasoned zucchini fries made in the air fryer
- Zucchini Casserole — A cheesy egg casserole with a medley of veggies
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats — Baked zucchini halves stuffed with ground beef, marinara, and cheese
- Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins — Moist, chocolatey muffins with a healthy twist
- 2 large zucchini
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch thick slices and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Top each piece with a bit of sauce in the center, and spread it around evenly.
- Top the bites off with cheese and your favorite pizza toppings. Bake for 7 minutes, then broil for an additional 3 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Enjoy!